The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Great British weather.

The Great British weather.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
What is up with people and weather, firstly in the summer where people complain "it's to hot" or "it's not hot enough" In Winter when it doesn't snow people complain about how it used to snow every christmas, and it doesn't feel like christmas anymore, so it snows 2 months later, That makes the world of differnce. Kids have a ball, but elders Complain "to cold" or "it's too late" and now they're calling it the worse snow fall for 18 years. Why is it the worse, kids find it one of the best wouldn't a better term would be The deepest.

I don't know, this annoys me but i'm just probbally paranoid or... just something else. anyway thanks. :/
Posted by DarylNb, Friday, 6 February 2009 5:06:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I know what you mean DarylNb.

But I suspect right now that the economic situation in the UK is exaggerating the impact more than somewhat. It is difficult to shrug your shoulders and watch the kids enjoy playing snowballs when you're not sure whether you'll have a job to go back to after the snow has melted.

I'm sure we will be seeing stories here soon about the additional economic pain caused by the SA and VIC heatwaves.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 6 February 2009 7:31:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
darynib,
Its just that people have short memories and the media always sensationalize everything.

I have no trouble in remembering 45 degree heat, and wondering if it will make 50. Winter frosts that killed wattle trees. The river being up and down like Mary's pants. Frequent floods in the Hawkesbury. The drought from 79-83 was the most severe I encountered. North coast rivers in almost constant flood. Heatwaves in Sydney. Trains coming through snow storms that was still on the trains when they reached Central. Too boggy to ride a horse in paddocks. etc.etc.

There have always been out of ordinary weather conditions. There always will be.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 6 February 2009 9:12:42 AM
There must be a subtle message in the author's thread. I just don't get it.

Of course when we were kids we would love to run in muddy puddles with the town's entire stormwater debris under foot. Somehow, now as adults, it no longer appeals. In the summer, as kids, we liked climbing into open cut mines to see how many pigeons were down there - nope no longer interested thanks. We even climbed up and into motorised swirling tanks laced with cyanide for a refreshing swim. Errr.....no thanks.....not a good idea for adults (or kids!)

And of course the commenting on the weather is part of adults' common courtesies to each other: "Good morning. My it's hot today isn't it?" Or: "Hi, how ya coping with the cold?" Or: "Remember the floods in the 40's where those who couldn't swim, had to be rescued from their houses by ropes?"

Can someone please enlighten me?
Posted by dickie, Friday, 6 February 2009 1:35:12 PM
Dickie,
i think DaryNB was going off about people complaining about the weather and you are right in that a lot is simply making conversation after greeting someone. He/she also mentioned media saying its the worst, longest, hottest, coldest, etc. To which I say is just media beat up to sell papers.

I recall one time a Sydney paper, perhaps Tele or maybe Mirror, which was famous for their page 3 girls, actually frying an egg on the footpath in Sydney. Don't know how long it took but they supposedly did it. Good publicity stunt.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 6 February 2009 3:36:32 PM
Right - got you Banjo. I remain convinced though that Daryl's penchant for describing snow as the "deepest" rather than the "worst" is splitting straws. After all it could be the "worst" in memory (depending on the complainant's age) for those adults who drive taxis, take kids to school, drive to work or wade through the "deepest" snow to hand deliver the daily rag eh?
Posted by dickie, Friday, 6 February 2009 5:25:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy