The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Forgotten Australian

Forgotten Australian

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I i'm new to this site.

I was wondering if any body else on this site has grow up in care?

I don't think my self that any body in goverment or out side this area really would care to much about them people.

Yes we seem to have be forgotten by docs and the home that we were in.

I have been trying since last year to get my files on my life in a children home.

I have been through docs in N.S.W but they can't find me they keep sending me on wild goose chases.

Contact a place called clan they sent me to docs in N.S.W.

All this because you want to put your life together,it is so hard i feel very alone and lost in my life.

i just wish to find my self at last my life over the years has been quite lost.
Posted by student council, Tuesday, 3 February 2009 3:18:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding the information you need student.

Don't give up. Government agencies can be difficult and confusing to deal with at times.

Has DOCS said they cannot find the information or that the information is not available to you? Was the home privately run through a charity or religious organisation or was it a government run home?

You can always try to submit a Freedom of Information (FOI) application to find the information you are looking for. FOI has a 30 day deadline (I think) so it won't take as long to get the information you require. If DOCS suggest the release of the information is exempt under FOI they have to provide a reason.

I don't know what else to suggest other than perhaps seek advice through Legal Aid.

Best of luck with your efforts and try not to let it get you down. Please do not be afraid to seek counselling and support when you feel you need it.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 3 February 2009 6:26:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pelican's right, Student Council

Not only would a counsellor or social worker be able to help you emotionally, they might also be able to use their contact networks to open some more doors for you. It's often just a case of finding the people with the right authorisation.

I'm sure that sooner or later, you will get the breakthrough you need. Good Luck!
Posted by SJF, Tuesday, 3 February 2009 7:47:27 PM
Student Council,
"And now for something completely different."
If you are looking for someone etc i.e. a good story and don’t mind sharing it. Perhaps you might consider this.
I was adopted out mumble mumble years ago and met a similar bureaucratic blank.
Decades of running around chasing rellies and getting nowhere both fast and slow.
All I knew was mum was Latvian (deceased) and I had a ½ brother and a ½ sister but they vanished off the face of the earth.

Eventually I wrote to The ABC ‘Can We Help’ program. They wrote letters on my behalf to all sorts of Latvian Groups for info. Eventually a lady in a retirement village remembered being a Brownie pack leader to my sister way, way back and her name change. Sadly sis had died of cancer 3 years earlier but CWH tracked down her daughter and son … I now have blood rellies.
PS try ‘Vanish’ an organization for finding family…they may be able to help.
FOI is a good choice too. Good luck.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 4 February 2009 8:27:47 AM
student council,
You are not the first 'forgotten australian' to post here. huffnpuff is one you can find his posts by clicking on users. I think spikey may be another. There are others but I cannot recall just now. If you read their posts you could get some usefull information and contacts of some organizations they belong to that are pushing for Government recognition of the 'forgotten Australians'.

I hope some will see your post and contact. Good luck.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 4 February 2009 11:19:53 AM
Student council,

Frank Gol is another 'forgotten australian' I am sure but have not seen his posts for some time.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 4 February 2009 11:26:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy