The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Kneejerk Insanity

Kneejerk Insanity

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
If it's only about pool fencing, pools should be properly fenced. The best and worst of parents can tell you kids move like lightning and do have to be saved from themselves.

In the wider context though, which Cuphandle seems to be talking about, our society has gone hysterical with this 'Please, won't someone think of the children' stuff. Filtering the internet is only an exaggerated version of the same child protection thinking that produces pool fencing.

One of these rules is being made to protect children, the other is being made using child protection as a cover for something else. The common denominator is our society's current willingness to throw the baby out with the bathwater (ha) whenever children are mentioned.
Posted by chainsmoker, Monday, 15 December 2008 7:40:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ Moron “Once again I'm so delighted I don't have bastards like you as neighbours. . . .

You guys make me sick.”

Maybe the feeling is mutual

Maybe the creative thing to do would be just find another sand pit to play in (perhaps in the middle of a freeway)

Then you would not be troubled

Btw… have no fear, I would move before you came to my neighbourhood….

That is . . . before the property prices collapsed.

Chainsmoker… “Filtering the internet is only an exaggerated version of the same child protection thinking that produces pool fencing.”

Exactly right, just as your vice (taken from your logon) is likewise denied the little ones : - )
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 15 December 2008 9:59:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My daughter has a small above ground pool that is properly fenced according to council regulations.She lives on acreage and the properties either side of her have large dams with street access,neither of which are fenced.Where is the logic in this.Hit the struggling families with more fees but ignore the obvious dangers of dams.I know it's impossible to watch a child every minute of the day but a lot of these children are drowning because"i turned away for an instant".It takes more than an instant for a child to negotiate the fences,fall into the water and susequently drown.More people need to keep a closer eye on little people near any amount of water.You can drown in a bucket but we don't have those fenced.I am also sick of subsidising other peoples children whilst they go to work or play.Whatever happened to parents taking responsibilty for their own offspring.I am not heartless and do know the grief as i had a son die,in a vehicle accident.Isn't it time people stopped passing the blame onto others.
Posted by haygirl, Monday, 15 December 2008 11:47:14 AM
C J Moran I agree with you.
But those Darwin awards, I dare not nominate any one but at least have put them selves up for it.
To think anyone, yes anyone, would rather a child die than be careful with pool fencing , well it is unbelievable.
Cuphandle your thread is both a knee jerk reaction and if not insane uncaring at least.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 15 December 2008 5:32:09 PM
I often think of changing my pseudonym, but have grown perversely fond of it.

It actually comes from smoking fish, then chicken, then anything that didn't run away.

It's a lucky thing the little ones aren't allowed share my vice. It's a hard habit to break.
Posted by chainsmoker, Monday, 15 December 2008 6:46:09 PM
CJ, you poor humourless miserable ratbag lefty twit. You don't make it to bastard, that takes a bit more guts than you will ever muster. Just a lefty twit, that wants to force their will, [superior of course] on everyone else.

My pool is not only fenced, it has an electric fence as well, to stop the dogs digging under it. I told you my dogs are kept in there, councli requirement, they must be contained, as must be my stallion. They can't protect my young foals from there, from the wild dogs that roam the district. The council, & the ratbags don't worry about them, they can't be made to pay rates, or inspection fees. My dogs do, of course keep ANY intruder out of my pool.

The only protection my stock have is me, up all night at some periods, with my shot gun. I'd love to show you some of the stock, ripped to bits, due to these lefty idiot laws, & I make you sick, give me a break.

Like the fee for inspection of enviro toilets. Owners pay every year, but the council has no budget for inspectors. A real lefty act, that one.

Of course there are the 2 dams, & the river, when do you ratbags expect me to fence those. Perhaps you will come a water my neighbours 700 cattle, to protect the kids of course.

Peanut.

I recently did the maths on council rates, & charges. If they keep compounding, as they have for the last 8 years, they will exceed my gross income in 2022, & that's without ant damn fool carbon trading costs added.

Belly, I'm surprised at you, you should know better, & read more carefully.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 15 December 2008 9:46:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy