The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Teasing is good for our children?

Teasing is good for our children?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Apparently Dacher Keltner who writes for the NYTimes has written an article that says in essence that teasing is necessary and we are doing our children a disservice by trying to protect them from it. The argument goes that it teaches children the boundaries of social contact, friend from foe, to use our bodies, voices etc. We learn to read people’s faces and language. It also teaches us to not take our selves seriously and instils moral courage, the list of basic advantages goes on . What do you think
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 11 December 2008 3:55:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear examinator,

Teasing is good for children?

I guess it depends on what you mean by
teasing.

For example Haim Ginott, in his book,
"Teacher and Child," gives an excellent
example of a boy named Witt who gave the
wrong answer to a simple question in class.

The teacher said, "With a little more brains
you'd be a half-Witt."

The class burst out in thunderous laughter.
The boy blushed and went meekly to his seat.

From this session on, the children teased
Witt mercilessly. They followed the
teacher's lead and improvised on it. They called
him, "Half-bright," "Halt-idiot," etc. They made
his life unbearable, until he finally changed
schools.

A teacher, like a surgeon, must never slash
haphazardly. The damage may be permanent.

Therefore, I would say that sarcasm is not good
for children. It destroys their self-confidence and
self-esteem. Like strychnine, it can be fatal.
Bitter irony and biting sarcasm only re-inforce the
traits they attack.

One has to be very careful when one sets out to
"tease." It's important to remember that,
self-hate destroys, self-esteem saves.

I think its important to minimize a child's
deficiences, and enhance their natural gifts.
Allow each of them to light his own lamp.
Give them hope, even if they aren't geniuses.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 12 December 2008 9:13:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi guys,

My view on this is that, as Foxy said, it depends on what one defines as teasing.

I am not sure that irony and sarcasm have ever been actually defined as teasing: the fact that when The Spectator first hit the streets in the 17th century it was differentiated from all the "teasing" kinds of broadsheets that had appeared until then seems to argue that irony and sarcasm were/are considered a genre of their own.

I find that occasional teasing is sometimes necessary to diffuse over-emotionalism, or even as a gentle and non-confrontational way of introducing a different point of view where argument would provoke disharmony. Indeed, camaradic teasing of a peer is considered to be a sign of acceptance in a group and marks a deeper level of friendship in personal relationships. On the whole - used properly - I would tend to say that its a useful tool.

However, there are always going to be people who handle tools clumsily, or with no actual knowledge of their use. How often do we hear people, after making an undeniably hurtful or unnacceptable comment, say:"I was only teasing!"?

That said, I don't think the fact that insensitive people misuse teasing is reason enough to deem it unacceptable. Insensitive or hurtful people will not be prevented from causing hurt if teasing becomes another victim of the PC blight: denied one tool they will unhesitantingly pick up another one and use it to exactly the same effect, I think.
Posted by Romany, Friday, 12 December 2008 11:13:51 AM
It's all about the severity. All things in moderation.

Which pretty much sums up my attitude. Yes, I agree that a little is necessary and I do think parents tend to be overprotective.

But of course, it can and does get out of hand.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 12 December 2008 11:19:11 AM
Teasing (=Bullying) can be one of the most insidious forms of human behavior.

Exammy...here are some thoughts :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTy15tE7FEg&feature=channel_page
Posted by Polycarp, Friday, 12 December 2008 1:05:59 PM
BUT..... let me hasten to add...that light hearted, fun loving, and 'context of love' teasing can be a wonderful thing.

I'ts the mean spirited type where the objective is to destroy the dignity and personhood of the target.. where base ill will is the motive... aaah...'that' type.. is one for which there is no excuse.
Posted by Polycarp, Friday, 12 December 2008 5:33:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy