The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lost in Cyberspace

Lost in Cyberspace

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
For a number of days now, I have not been able to access the OLO site, sometimes for hours on end. Ok, I do have another life, but it is frustrating when I have wanted to respond to certain issues.

Anyway, I'm finally logged in again and notice that NO comments have been logged in either the Article or General Discussion sites from anyone for at least 6 hours, but mostly 7 hours ... why?

It seems to me there is a technical difficulty, but what? I hope some one from OLO can clarify.
Posted by Q&A, Thursday, 4 December 2008 8:28:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You are not alone in experiencing problems accessing the OLO site, Q&A.

I was unable to connect at around 10:00 PM on Wednesday 3 December. I attempted again around 4:00 AM on Thursday 4 December, but still no luck. Around 4:30 AM I was able to connect to OLO again. Upon connection and selection of display in order of recency of posts, I noticed that the most recent posts across the Forum had all been made 11 to 12 hours previously.

On this basis, I had assumed the problem, whatever it was, had affected all users, as it seems unlikely that nobody at all had attempted to post in that period. The possibility of some sort of denial of service attack on OLO did cross my mind, given the recent spamming of the Forum on Monday 1 December by a now banned former user and notorious cybersquatter, who's abusive posts have now been taken down.

Curiously, when I first attempted to open this thread by clicking on the icon in the index page, I got a message saying there had been a server error, and that this error had been reported. I tried again, this time clicking on the words of the topic title instead, and was able to open it successfully straight away. The icon now appears to work, however.

The problem was not my connection to the internet. At the same time as the OLO site was inaccessible I was able to access other sites and move about within them.

On Thursday 20 November I encountered a glitch in the OLO display preferences, which I reported to OLO by way of the feedback button. I could not combine 'display 20 topics one quarter back' with 'last post' order, which was something I normally had no difficulty doing. OLO was unaware of any problem. Shutting down and restarting my computer seemed to solve the problem. Had there been any intrusion attempt, that would have gotten rid of any residual effects within my Linux system. The system had been up for weeks before that glitch.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Friday, 5 December 2008 2:35:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've also had trouble accessing OLO.

I went to get on Wednesday at around 4pm. I was able to, but right through until around 10pm when I gave up completely, whenever I checked in to try, the access was so intolerably slow I couldn't be bothered. Yesterday was okay in the morning and again at night, but there was a long stretch in between when I couldn't get on at all.

This morning I had a 350 word post that I'd spent considerable time on and was about to submit, when out of the blue a 'servor error' message appeared and for no apparent reason I'd completely lost the post. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

So, yes, I definitely think there are some gremlins in the works at the moment.
Posted by Bronwyn, Friday, 5 December 2008 3:04:36 PM
Me too.
Wednesday Thursday only got in early morning, very early morning.
Are we under attack?
Some of us are no programmers, but some clearly may develop some ideas what went wrong?
Been a very bad year for trouble makers on the net, it would be great if those who know could give a few tips on security.
Spam is back, I left it along at my last server over a year ago, am well protected but getting up to 30 a day, any answers?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 5 December 2008 3:39:11 PM
Me too,
At one stage it took 8-9 minutes to load per page. I lost interest and went off to other sites. Given that all night mentioned there were severe storms in Brisbane so I told. There could be a myriard of causes from faulty hardware transmission lines etc. I'm sure GrahamY and his trusty invesigators are researching it now.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 5 December 2008 4:08:10 PM
Me tooo
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 5 December 2008 4:46:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy