The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Growing Our Own in Melbourne - Self-Sufficient Gardens Report

Growing Our Own in Melbourne - Self-Sufficient Gardens Report

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
A research project discussing sustainable, self-sufficiency gardening in Melbourne has found an increasing trend toward sustainable, self-sufficient gardening and highlights broader influences impacting on this, and uncovers a variety of community gardens and educational opportunities.

The research involved consultation with many participants at the forefront of community and self sufficient garden solutions.

full report @
http://growingourown.wordpress.com/

excerpts of research findings.

What influences the Melbourne community’s ability to garden for self-sufficiency in a sustainable manner?

A redefinition of waterwise gardening that includes edible plants may be necessary.

All self sufficiency or food gardeners across Melbourne need support in keeping their productive gardens producing in a drying climate. The active Melbourne garden community has recognised this and has developed the grassroots network, the Food Gardeners Alliance, as well as many innovative projects and partnerships.

Respondents attributed a variety of interconnecting variables and themes that were leading to an increase in self sufficiency gardening in the community and offered a range of anecdotal evidence to support their opinions. The far majority of respondents referred to environment-related issues.

One of the most common suggestions from respondents was that growing environmental awareness in the community has led more people to make the connection to growing their own food. Drought is having a strong impact. According to varied views, climate change is encouraging people into self sufficient gardening, while its impact on hydrological regimes is significantly deterring and impeding others.

School “kitchen gardens” and “public access community gardens” were found; along with permaculture and therapeutic gardens; to be in a healthy state of growth. Equally strong was an availability of educational opportunities for the home and communal gardener; innovative new projects which are turning home produce gardens into communally shared spaces....

Community food security is necessary. We should look at the phenomenal growth potential of self sufficiency gardening offers at a communal level. The networks are developing and growing…..

The full report can be accessed @ http://growingourown.wordpress.com/
Posted by daniel moss, Tuesday, 2 December 2008 8:55:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A very extensive blog, daniel moss. Looks good. It will obviously take some time to digest. The links look promising; for those interested in food gardening issues in SE Australia you appear to have constructed a most useful information resource.

In the very quick perusal I have so far given it, an issue that stands out is the significance of reticulated water usage restrictions. In this connection, it is a pity that the connection between presently un-utilized waste heat from existing coal-fired electricity generation, and potential solution of reticulated water shortages in major Australian urban centres via the reduced-pressure desalination pathway is not more widely comprehended.

I have long thought that much of the now very evident concentration in retail distribution of fresh foods in the hands of very few commercial entities has been an outcome of land use legislation of the like of the NSW EP & A Act. Restriction of reticulated water supplies by long neglect of infrastructure investment I now see as equally effective in helping impose this oligopolistic situation.

I look forward to frequent revisitations to your most promising blog.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Wednesday, 3 December 2008 8:02:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Great stuff daniel. Helping people to provide sustainable, healthy and locally grown food can only be a good thing.

I have noticed a return back to homegrown and community plots where I live so there is a definite interest again in fresh vegetables and fruit. Growing foods suited to your climate and utilising rainwater tanks and mulching etc to survive the drier times.

It is good to see a revival also in the local food markets.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 3 December 2008 8:11:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for this thread daniel.

I agree with all the posters here, you're to be
congratulated.

We've got a few fruit trees. And I've got my
herb garden. Next year I'm going to try
planting some vegetables.

My next door neighbour
grows the most delicious tomatoes and persimmons.
We regularly take full bags to the Nursing Home
nearby. Including my famous lemons. That the Nursing home
relies on, especially during the winter months.

Freshly grown fruit and vegetables certainly
taste differently to the ones bought at
the supermarket. And growing your own is
very satisfying.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 3 December 2008 3:13:59 PM
Yes, great stuff Daniel.

We've grown a substantial proportion of our own food for years now. Although I live in a small country town rather than a Melbourne suburb, the amount of land we use for growing fruit and vegies would easily be made available in the average suburban back yard. With careful management of rain water, compost etc it's quite amazing how much food you can grow - most years we give excess away in the informal 'barter' system that operates in small rural communities.

Growing your own food is good for the body, the environment and the soul. It's a win-win-win situation, really.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 4 December 2008 7:08:48 AM
Growing your own veggies is one of those activities that fulfil the meaning of life. Problem for me is that I live in Possum Central - not keen on spoiling the natural vista of my garden with fencing and screens, therefore I grow potatoes (and plan more root vegetables), lots of herbs, silverbeet, two types of lemon. But miss growing tomatoes - nothing better than the aroma of a ripe tomato, just before biting into the plump shiny fruit...sigh.

And don't get me started on protecting my blood plums from the rosellas... I wouldn't mind if they left me with some fruit.

I wonder if possums like asparagus....
Posted by Fractelle, Thursday, 4 December 2008 7:41:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy