The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What Protection?

What Protection?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Yesterday, I decided that I would have Baked Beans on Toast for Lunch!

I opened up a tin of Barbeque Baked Beans and as I emptied the contents into a saucepan, I noticed that there appeared to be a dark patchy fungus-like coating around the inside of the can. The dark "muck" came away by finger leaving an etched surface covering most of the inside of the can!

A smell of the can revealed a very strong metallic odour, consequently the contents of the can were discarded. A number of the same brand cans of BBQ Baked Beans, Baked Beans in Ham Sauce and Baked Beans Cheezy Tomato were then opened only to discover that the problem existed in all of the "samples"!

An immediate phone call to the 1800 phone number for complaints to the company ( printed on the label of the can )resulted in what I considered a very arrogant "stock" reply, stating that there was in fact nothing wrong with the product and the "fungus" was simply a breakdown in the lining of the can due to reaction from the acid in the Tomato, and the " product within was safe to consume!

I responded by stating that I refused to accept this explanation and wished to speak to the Manager or a superior ( which was refused) and after stating to her that the subject cans should have a protective coating on the inside, I was again assured that the product was safe for consumption! When I then asked the female at the other end of the phone exactly what her "qualification" was, I was informed that she was only an employee there, to receive and record phone calls and complaints on behalf of the company, and as such could only pass on the complaint!

I stated to her that I wanted something more positive in regard to this "problem" and said that if I didn`t hear from somebody with a bit of authority by close of business yesterday, I would take the matter up with the authorities, and then terminated the call!

(continued)
Posted by Cuphandle, Thursday, 13 November 2008 8:01:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I share your concerns at the low levels of protection of consumer health, but I don't see much changing any time soon. There are too many vested interests with a great deal to lose and enough political clout to ensure we're all kept in the dark for a good while yet.

There are many packaging and cooking materials that allow leeching of minute amounts of toxic chemicals into the food we consume, and many health experts are now warning of the accumulative and longterm negative effects these might be having on our health.

Some of the warnings I've heard or read of include: microwaving in plastic or ceramic containers, storing and freezing water in plastic bottles, cooking in aluminium or in teflon coated materials, using cling wrap and I think alfoil (though I might be imagining this one), and no doubt there are many other hazards out there I'm not aware of.

Eating canned food is another one I had come across! Not sure if it applies to all cans or just particular types.

Your story just adds to my determination to avoid processed food as much as possible. Though when it comes to the contents of things like Baked Beans in Ham Sauce, I'm sure the ingredients themselves would present as much of a threat as the container in which they're packaged.
Posted by Bronwyn, Thursday, 13 November 2008 1:06:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
dear cuphandle
get used to it
they KNOW you arnt going to take it further

even if you did [they can afford lawyers]
you need to get it tested in a lab [who controles the lab?

and if you didnt actually die [or sustain injury ; on appeal it gets thrown out because there is no personal injury
[no victim NO crime [according to supreem court rulings on all continents]

[yet lawyers still prostitute victimless drug USE as a crime as worthy of jail, because it gives them a GREAT income stream[20 out of 21 plead guilty]
and in 1999 [the last year i could get figures for [in qld]
raises 65 million revenue each year for qld income alone]

the sustem is corrupt bro

[what ya eating canned food for anhow
fresh really is best [even if it is iodine deficient]
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 13 November 2008 2:09:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dont like the sound of those baked beans at all, here's a more sneakily sinister and devastating health problem for us all to watch out for.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=email_en&refer=home&sid=aKNgo0CVJg9s
Posted by trikkerdee, Thursday, 13 November 2008 2:13:45 PM
Try complaining to the Food Safety Authority cuphandle.

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/

Food safety standards will only be maintained while consumers bring this sort of thing to the attention of governments. Well at least we can try. :)
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 13 November 2008 3:33:47 PM
Here you go Cuphandle:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/A511%20Date-marking%20of%20canned%20food%20IAR.pdf#search=%22tin%22

The risk assessment on pages 39-43 are most instructive. I wouldn't worry too much about heavy metal poisoning, unless they have arsenic, lead, thallium, chromium etc. in their ingredients list. You did check the ingredients list?
Posted by Bugsy, Thursday, 13 November 2008 3:58:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy