The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Was it wrong for Turnbull to smoke pot?

Was it wrong for Turnbull to smoke pot?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Last night Malcolm Turnbull volunteered on the ABC's Q&A, just before he was asked, that he had smoked pot when younger but that "it was a mistake to do so" http://www.google.com.au/news/url?sa=t&ct=au:u/1-0&fp=48dc6ea7153a047b&ei=nhzcSKCTKYWMhQObpryXAQ&url=http%3A//www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/26/2374751.htm%3Fsection%3Djustin&cid=1250644856&usg=AFQjCNGdp3M8v7lqxYZlK7lKwMRJvOd3jw.

Here's an admission from me. I smoked pot too occasionally when I was much younger, but I don't think it was a mistake. I was not really interested in it, but sometimes you'd be in a social situation and someone would decide to light-up and you'd think, "Why not?"

I doubt whether any of the people I knew then still smoke pot, and I doubt even more strongly that any of them are using stronger drugs, although I suspect we're all consumers of alcohol.

In my generation (I'm 50) I'd reckon that at least half of us would have smoked pot at least once, and I'm having trouble seeing how an activity that is so widespread that, while it's theoretically illegal, it is hardly ever prosecuted, could be viewed in anything other than a benign way.

Sure there are health problems with pot's consumption, but there are health problems with the consumption, or over consumption, of a whole lot of other things, including alcohol.

I'm glad Turnbull raised the issue, but wish he'd expressed his experience in more positive terms, but then maybe even now, the political climate doesn't allow you to be 100% honest on this issue.
Posted by GrahamY, Friday, 26 September 2008 9:42:46 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that Turnbull's "mistake" was only in the subsequent context of his later aspirations to become the Prime Minister - and even then it's only a mistake in political terms because it provides his opponents with some opportunities for some minor cheap shots.

His admission last night is probably tactically good, in the sense that he won't be subject to the "but I didn't inhale" bulldust by which politicians elsewhere have attempted to deal with their callow pasts.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 26 September 2008 9:51:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I smoke pot occasionally now. Probably once every couple of months. A couple of my married, creative-class friends see burning one down as the natural end of the evening, and occasionally I'll join in.

I agree with CJ that Turnbull's response was tactically impressive. I believe it because he was sticking pretty close to the truth. Yes, he probably exaggerated his horror of the drug, but then a go-getter like Malcolm is unlikely to particularly admire the average stoner.

Given he used to be a barrister, one of the most drug-addled occupations, I have no doubt he's snorted a few lines of coke off the back of a toilet seat at his gentlemen's club, either.

There's been several pot threads on this forum before, so perhaps we don't have to cover all the same ground. It's a difficult drug. For the majority of people, it's harmless. I have a 40-something friend who has a diagnosed case of ADHD, and she *improves* on pot. Nevertheless, it's a much stronger drug than some imagine, particularly that dreadful hydroponic stuff, and drug-induced paranoia or even psychosis is a real concern among habitual users.

As a libertarian, I lean towards legalisation. But that doesn't mean a free-for-all, nor does it mean we should drop our guard when it comes to monitoring and investigating the harm it can cause.

Turnbull didn't come across to me as someone who was particularly interested in drug policy, which is a pity.
Posted by Veronika, Friday, 26 September 2008 10:11:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I smoked heaps of pot when I was younger. And you know what? All the bad news is true. Daily use lowers your motivation, reduces your intellectual capacity, induces depression and increases the risk of psychotic illnesses.

But the risks apply to chronic, constant use. I have seen nothing to suggest that moderate stoning has any deleterious effects. That's why I'm in favour of legalisation. If, as a society, we can rationalise and accept the harm caused by tobacco and alcohol, we can also take cannabis in our stride, make a mint off the taxation, and starve drug dealers of a market.

I agree with CJ Morgan that it's hypocritical and lame for politicians to qualify any admission of pot consumption with grave warnings of the one-puff-and-you're-a-junky propaganda variety.
Posted by Sancho, Friday, 26 September 2008 10:15:05 AM
In my experience in the security industry I'd MUCH RATHER deal with stoners than drunks.

A huge percentage of the population smoke recreationally. No shame in it at all. It's there to be enjoyed, moderately. Just the same as anything. Even Christ had no dramas with wine. Just ask John the Baptist.

CJ was spot on with Turnbull, IMHO.
Posted by StG, Friday, 26 September 2008 10:30:14 AM
Where now all of the wonderful, old civilisations that had so many good ethics...so many noble men and women?

Brought down by God, each and every one, because of their immorality and their acceptance of homosexuality, drunkenness, drugs, sacrifice (2008 and abortion)... and the worship of idols.

I would have liked a stronger condemnation than "it was a mistake to do so".

No one speaks much anymore about the fall of civilisations or the fact that God brings them down at a certain point (the christian churches have mostly gone mousey and quiet these days...apostate).

Thus, in the end, because of our indifference to our end, does God switch on the "endtimes" to bring it all to an end.
Posted by Gibo, Friday, 26 September 2008 10:40:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy