The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Magpie Season

Magpie Season

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
With a multitude of birds here, we have a daily feeding ritual, scrap raw meat and bread! The different families integrate well without any obvious display of malice and the young become very friendly, and breed their own families upon maturity!

Yes, then you move on and the three, four, or ten generations of birds that rely on you for food are left to die as they no longer know how to hunt and survive in the real world.

Simple. Don't feed wild animals. Look at the recent dingo attack on a young child if you want proof.

I say, if they swoop and attack me, be prepared to cop a stick or cricket bat. It's my park to you know!
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 21 September 2008 6:20:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm a bit of an amateur 'twitcher' myself - I can spend hours just watching the perpetual 'bird wars' that take place in the skies and trees around our property. Of course, right now the maggies and plovers are centre stage.

Fractelle: << They would swoop my ex-husband and not me - gotta admire that. He used to abuse and physically assault me; these birds are like dogs they can detect hostility and fear. Bullies always bristle with both. >>

I have to laugh at this - we have a male maggie who I've christened "Scud" because of his swooping habits - which are only directed towards my partner, who is the gentlest , most peaceful woman I've ever known. She now gets around the garden in spring wearing some of the most outlandish protective headgear, due to his swoop attacks - and I just blithely stroll around the place bareheaded.

Many times we've tried to work out why it is that she gets swooped and I don't - maybe Scud's just a misogynist maggie, who knows?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 21 September 2008 9:14:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ

Oh that's awful for your partner. I am sorry to hear that. However, a hat with a pair of sunnies on the back of the brim is a good idea.

But don't forget the fear factor.

I admit, I indulged in schadenfreud when my partner was attacked, he was scared of them - magpies are very good at sensing fear
Posted by Fractelle, Sunday, 21 September 2008 12:20:52 PM
Magpies are pests and should be eradicated as soon as possible from the AFL, from the baby maggies all the way up to Eddie and Malty.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Wednesday, 24 September 2008 9:37:52 PM
Cuphandle,

Thanks for opening this thread. Yes we saw that as well. The sick dick putting the bird in a car and taking it sixty miles away.

All you have to do is feed them because they are protecting their young.
Those that have so little respect for fellow creatures or are too mean to do that of course could buy a hat.

Years ago it was a bit of fun for the kids to dodge the Mags but now they are bred to be such selfish winging little brats.

Its not their fault of course its the stupid parents.

You only need to read your own thread to varify that.

We waited for RSPCA National to speak up about this ranger or parks and wild life - was it? who took this bird 60 miles from its family.

If you can recall who moved his bird we would appreciate the heads up and we will ask what training is required to work in this area.

Again thanks for starting this thread. Its good to know others were just as outraged as us.

A question to RSPCA National=Do you see this doc on TV where the bird was removed 60 ks from its family.

If you did why didnt you respond and educate the public about the tight knit family unit these birds have.

We rely on RSPCA to educate the public and this was one of the many times you could and should have spoken up.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Sunday, 28 September 2008 6:35:38 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pale:

I am pretty sure the programme was either "Today Tonight" or "A Current Affair" in Qld and it was aired on the evening of Thursday 18th September.

I find it so hard to accept that there are so many people out there who have such a negative attitude towards Magpies, birds or other species of wildlife, as has been indicative by most of the responses to this Thread so far!

Maybe these people resent sharing their own selfish little worldly environment with other creatures of nature and will all be much happier when, as David Suzuki stated with words to the effect: "When the last fish is caught,the last tree chopped down, and the last beast is slaughtered, ....man will find it impossible to eat money for his survival!" ( words to that effect, but making the point about man`s selfish destruction of all the planet`s natural resources!)

It should be noted that David Suzuki has gone very quiet in recent times and I suspect that he has simply given up trying to emphasize man`s folly in relation to environmental destruction and is now concentrating on caring for his own immediate family!
Posted by Cuphandle, Sunday, 28 September 2008 9:48:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy