The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > OUR FIRST FEMALE GOVERNOR GENERAL - WILL SHE BE OUR LAST?

OUR FIRST FEMALE GOVERNOR GENERAL - WILL SHE BE OUR LAST?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Quentin Bryce was sworn in as Australia's
first female Governor General on 5th September

I watched the event on television.
It was most impressive.
The lady herself has charisma, and
impeccable credentials. She is an
asset, and would grace any social
gathering. She will do the office
of Governor General proud.

In her acceptance speech Ms Bryce
stated that Australians respected
their institutions and traditions, but
were open to change. This came as somewhat
of a surprise.

"...we embrace change as a natural and
necessary consequence of our evolution..."

Which makes me wonder what sort of change
did she foresee in Australia's future?

There have been predictions in the media
that possibly Ms Bryce will be our last
Governor General, as a Republic is on
the cards for the future.

Your thoughts please...
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 6 September 2008 2:25:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, I wish Ms Bryce all the best in the position.

But I think that most people couldn't give a hoot. Perhaps one thing that she could do to become more in touch with the general populace is to dedicate a large part, say half, of her enormous (and tax-free I believe) salary to a bunch of very needy charities.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 7 September 2008 9:10:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps the most useful thing she could do is take up the cause of sustainability, and start keeping Rudd honest about decisions made in the interests of sustainability that might run counter to the wishes of big business... or which might be at odds with our worship of continuous nevger-ending economic growth!

Wouldn't it be just amazing if she was to take on role like this. Even if she just made a few comments now and then, she would no doubt achieve more than she will in all her other efforts combined throught her tenure in the position!!
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 7 September 2008 9:16:13 PM
What is this woman's official role or function as the Governor-General and what influence does she have over the Cth Parliament and its law making power ?

Would her role or function as the Gov-Gen differ in any way to what she was responsible for as the Governor of the State of Qld or is Qld a Republic as a consequence of her failure to perform her role as Governor and is she also going to direct the Commonwealth down the same path ?.
Posted by Young Dan, Sunday, 7 September 2008 9:33:54 PM
She reminds me a bit of Helen Mirren impersonating our actual Head of State, Queen Elizabeth.

I truly hope that Lizzy is Australia's last monarch, therefore also that Quentin is our last G-G.

However, Helen Mirren rocks.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 7 September 2008 9:40:43 PM
Ludwig
"to dedicate a large part, say half, of her enormous (and tax-free I believe) salary to a bunch of very needy charities"
What do say Ludwig? I do not care for the money! I am sure our taxes will not go for our benefits! I do not care who will waste them! but I want the demolition of the monarchy the soonest possible.
Can she transfer ALL her rights and duties, as general governor, to Federal Australian Parliament?
I WANT ONLY THIS FROM HER! CAN SHE?
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Sunday, 7 September 2008 9:52:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy