The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 'Compulsory ' voting. Why ?

'Compulsory ' voting. Why ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Compulsory voting was created to ensure that the majority opinion of australia is recognised, not just that of our most vocal citizens. Today it is just another tradition.
Posted by Ashesinthefall, Friday, 3 November 2006 9:53:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Compulsary voting is nothing to do with promises being kept or not.
When you see the mess they get in overseas without compulsion then we
are in good shape. Many people would not vote if it was not compulsary.
When they get to the polls they then vote, well because they might as
well now they are there.
Elections are about being selfish, vote for the member who will do the
best for you. That way the majority get their wishes.

Anyone who suggests doing away with compulsion has just not thought it through.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 3 November 2006 10:34:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To me the good thing about compulsory voting is that it forces the various parties to appeal to the majority, and seems to make capture of politics by the crazies (of any persuasion) less likely.

Also, I feel much more entitled to whine about the poltical situation when I've voted, I feel kind of invested, whether it went the way I wanted or not. Which I think is (broadly) a good thing
Posted by Laurie, Friday, 3 November 2006 11:25:49 AM
I wouldn't mind voting if we had a democracy, but we don't. In a democracy, if twenty percent of the population want a particular party, then that party should get twenty percent of the seats. here they get none -- ZERO.
A true democracy would have no political donations, no political parties and no executive. Every electorate would elect the representative who best represents their wishes, then all representatives would sit in the parliament and debate -- not hurl personal abuse-- until a consensus was reached.
Consensus politics means no rushed or ill thought through decisions, no party pressure, a slow, measured approach to change, impervious to pressures of big business, but caring of minorities. However, as we have no independent media, there's no hope of us having anything like a democracy!
Posted by ybgirp, Friday, 3 November 2006 12:22:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OH reaqlly ybgirp ? While ever there are more than two people talking about something there will be a party.
So live with it.

Proportional voting leads to a large number of minority parties.
Preferential voting insures that parties that are not wanted by a majority do not get in and make a nuisance of themselves.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 3 November 2006 2:18:37 PM
I've written about this previously on my site, so feel free to read my thoughts in greater detail, however Australia continues to be an oddity in the world in that most democracies have voluntary voting whether they are Japan, Canada or Finland. Australia actually had voluntary voting until 1925. If you want to see politicians fight for your vote then you should support voluntary voting. Otherwise, stop complaining about the system that we currently have.
Posted by matt@righthinker.com, Friday, 3 November 2006 2:43:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy