The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 'Compulsory ' voting. Why ?

'Compulsory ' voting. Why ?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Why should anyone be forced by law to vote in elections?
Invariably, those who solicit our votes promise us the world before an election, then bend to the will of lobby groups and secret cabinet meetings after an election. Is this democracy in action or democracy inaction?
Posted by aspro, Thursday, 2 November 2006 10:56:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Because it is Australia. It is one of our unique features like kangaroos to have a democracy yet have compulsory voting.
Posted by mjpb, Thursday, 2 November 2006 1:38:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One way of looking at it is that voting isn't just a right in a democracy, it's actually a responsibility.

The way our society functions, or is suppposed to function, is through lines of accountability. For example, a doctor is accountable to a medical board, and a medical board to a government and a government to the electors. If anyone in that line of accountabilty says, I can't be bothered to hold those to account in the line before me, then the system is less effective.

The duty to vote is not onerous. The law (or is it the constitution) requires only that you "cast a vote", which I interpret as sticking a ballot paper in the box (or in the mail). What you write on that paper is up to you.

The fine for not voting is pretty token as well. I've found from experience that if you send back a note with a halfway credible excuse they'll even waive that.

Mind you, I find compulsory voting in local council elections a (minor) pain, given that local politics is mostly about people with too much time on their hands squabbling about issues that interest me not one iota. Check the letters page of most local newspapers.
Posted by Snout, Thursday, 2 November 2006 2:28:46 PM
In a perfect world I would totally agree with you Snout, but unfortunately the responsibility you talk about is never matched by the politicians we elect accepting their corresponding responsibilities.

If we had a system whereby a politician would automatically be tried for perjury if they broke a campaign promise, I would gladly accept that my vote should be compulsory. Unfortunately it is a one-way street; we are forced to vote, but they have no incentive to keep their part of the bargain.

The good thing about non-compulsory voting is that it gives you an immediate measure of voter disaffection with the system, as opposed to disaffection with a particular political party.

I have registered a protest vote in every federal and state election for the past twenty years. I do however take the local elections seriously, because they have a very direct bearing on the amenities and security of my immediate surroundings.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 2 November 2006 8:28:34 PM
Like you, Pericles, I am skeptical of campaign promises. I think the line of accountability from government to the electors is more retrospective rather than prospective. In other words it's the next election that keeps a government accountable rather than winning the previous. Knowing that they are accountable to all the electors rather than just those who can be bussed in to vote by the party machines (as in the US and elsewhere) might just keep the bastards that little bit more honest.

Problem is, you need a credible alternative in the opposition for this to work. Aye, there's the rub.
Posted by Snout, Thursday, 2 November 2006 9:46:57 PM
Most fairy tales do not begin with "Once upon a time" but start "If elected I will". The older I get the more cynical I become about politicians, the system and our so called democracy.

Actually one is only required to attend a polling place, verified by having your name crossed off the roll. You may do as you wish with the ballot paper.

I never saw much point in attending and not voting. My biggest decission is what major party to put last. I refuse to let either of the majors get the $2 for my vote.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 2 November 2006 10:07:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy