The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is the significance or relevance of OLO?

What is the significance or relevance of OLO?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
Within the subject matter of this forum – broad-ranging social and political debate - how important is it? How significant are the articles that it publishes or the views and debate entertained here?

I’m constantly trying to weigh up the significance of OLO, both in my life and in the shaping of our collective future in Australia. It is certainly a large part of my life, but I don’t know if it is time well spent or whether I’ll come to regret spending so many hours a week on it over a period of who knows how many years.

Is it really very insignificant as Samsung suggests? http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=1954#41826

OLO does appear quite prominently in google searches, which is surely a good sign. It has a good range of highly qualified article-writers and there are plenty of knowledgeable posters, among a wide range of contributors.

But still, what is it really worth?
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 31 July 2008 1:39:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Personally I find OLO a better type of forum than others I have used. I found the one on Yahoo attracted too many trolls. Most users of this forum post sensible comments and not the rubbish I've seen on other forums. I also like www.news.com.au for the opinions, however these will be checked before being included and it can take up to 3 hours for a comment to be included. (There is an amusing character named Kevin of Double Bay on this site. His comments are quite funny. I would like to see him start some threads on OLO for comic relief).
I think it's important to understand the diverse range of opinions people have on a variety of topics. It's good to listen to other peoples' ideas even if we don't agree with them. It's a good way of understanding the complexities of the society we live in.
Posted by Steel Mann, Thursday, 31 July 2008 4:34:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
hahaha.

Kevin of Double Bay is a classic.

But wouldn't he be considered a troll. Man he winds some people up.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Thursday, 31 July 2008 4:50:39 PM
Steel Mann It's a good way of understanding the complexities of the society we live in."

or become more bewildered by it!

Ludwig, alot of the stuff I do is in isolation to the values I might hold. I find it worthwhile, like SM said "It's good to listen to other peoples' ideas even if we don't agree with them."

Further, I find making myself articulate on a subject here helps me focus on it and question why I hold certain values, more so than if I did not post.
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 31 July 2008 6:25:22 PM
OLO is an invaluable forum to glean practical understanding of a subject - the facts and information and the opportunity for ongoing debate to obtain knowledge. Many contributors to OLO are gifted at imparting that knowledge to others.

However, the usually high standard of OLO is diminished when one reads of posters attacking a certain section of this forum. I am disappointed in Samsung and RStuart, who seemingly place themselves above others where, in another thread, they have seen fit to attack posters they regard as intellectually inferior:

"And like all "opinion" sites, it attracts the usual collection of freaks, nut cases, extremists, wheelbarrow pushers and others who simply have too much time on their hands and who live their lives through internet chat/opinion rooms."

And:

"The biggest offenders seem to (sic) the animal rights people, and if anything leaving carcasses around seemed to whip them up into even a bigger frenzy. (While there is an element of truth to this I couldn't resist the pun - sorry.)"

Very funny. May I remind RStuart that the discerning heart seeks wisdom but the mouth of the fool feeds on folly for I have silently witnessed many more "carcasses" on Islamic and/or religious threads where the "frenzied" abuse is constantly and flagrantly directed at Christians who participate on OLO.

Despite the abuse, we have many bravehearts on OLO who remain impervious to the few bullies who like to pick on "inferior" mortals or attack those who wish only to defend the defenceless.

On-line Opinion, I believe, can be quite addictive.

And fortunately, with the variety of topics on OLO, Samsung and RStuart need not condescend to engage with "animal rights' people, freaks, nut cases, extremists and........ wheelbarrow pushers?"

"Wheelbarrow pushers??"

That's odd? I'll swear I've seen them pushing one.
Posted by dickie, Thursday, 31 July 2008 6:37:38 PM
Dickie baby, you have 'conveniently' neglected to also quote this in your post,

"Opinions drive freedom. Everybody should be allowed to express an opinion, whether or not that opinion is right or wrong, crazy or sane, approved of or not approved of and anybody should have the right to express an opinion on any opinion."

Which was written by me on the same topic, beneath the post you 'chose' to quote.

For you, I, or anyone else, being upset or disapproving of any opinion is the price of FREEDOM. You'll always find opinions you don't like on an opinion forum. You're more than welcome to write your opinions on those other peoples' opinions. That's FREEDOM in action.
Posted by samsung, Thursday, 31 July 2008 7:22:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy