The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Age of Rage

The Age of Rage

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
“Perhaps the feeling of powerlessness is the cause of all this rage.”

Yep Pelican, spot on. That’s the root cause of my rage, which occasionally really manifests itself badly.

I find that rage can sometimes surface very quickly over very minor things. But I reckon that those minor frustrations are only triggers for the release of a big pool of discontent sitting just under the surface that has been generated by entirely different things.

I’ve set myself up with a very good lifestyle and career in a great part of the world. I only have myself to look after. I’m able to indulge my interests about as fully as anyone can. I’m right into relaxation. I spend a lot of time on the beach in the wonderful north Queensland winter. I’m into exercise, with a good hard run or hill hike almost daily and I spend a lot of time expressing my major concerns, not least on OLO. And I travel a lot. These things are great calming mechanisms.

And yet there is always significant anger just itching to burst out.
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 31 July 2008 10:43:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I see Rage as having two basic sources Quasi genetic (Basic instincts), Mental illnesses V conditioning (parental and community examples).
We as a species seem to ignore the fact that we are animals and as such have sections in our brain that hard wire many of our responses.

I don’t accept the argument that it’s natural and therefore justifiable/acceptable. As humans we do have the ability to override instincts at least the protracted ones.

It also seems to me that where we as a species ignore our basic instincts in creating our environments. Instead reinforce the needs for these animal instincts. We encouraging aggression, competition, dominance while ignoring the balancing factors like our need of connectivity and our place/importance in society (importance of the individual).

We become insignificant as individuals which tends to heighten our sense of being dominated by others and therefore our search connectivity and place manifests it though the vicarious aggression of sport. Various sub-morphs include football team supporter, national pride, cultural/religious zealotry and justification for murder rape, violent crimes at the extreme ends. Clearly in two groups oppressors or the oppressed at the cost of tolerance.

Studies have indicated that high profile sports-people from high aggression sports have more difficulty in adjusting to social conflict off the field. Their violent proclivities are higher than the public average.

People who see themselves as victims of ‘the system’ often seek membership to sub-cultures ( often violent gangs) as confirmation of their identity (importance) and an under-current of rage against those who they perceive are oppressing them.

To a lesser extent we all respond in similar way. We hate (an emotional justification for rage) drivers who cut us off, won’t let us in, male drivers in hats especially ones in Volvos, females in 4wds. Young people, vans, trucks, busses, traffic jams, taxis… the list goes on. Objectively these prejudices can’t be supported in fact and are irrational.

Most commonly this sense of place is represented in a search for “greater meaning” which is more often than not emotionally based in cause and solution
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 2 August 2008 11:43:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual “when a well-placed slap prevents this kind of "anger" developing in the first place.”

Well said, we are paying the price for a generation many of whom were brought up without being held in check or accountable by their parents or teachers for their temper tantrums and have developed an inexhaustible sense of personal expectation that strangers should endure their bad behaviour.

The words of my eldest ring in my ears on fathers day 2006 when she said to me I had been strict when she was growing up but she needed it (followed by a kiss).

Children need to learn about boundaries and respect for the rights of others. Now we are reaping the harvest of all the wishy-washy, nambi-pambi no-slapping twaddle policies of the 1970s and 1980s we see a harvest of binge drinking, drug abuse and rage on a scale unexperienced in recent generations. This violence is different to previous social violence. This violence is not premeditated or targeted (as it was with rockers etc. of the past) it is indiscriminate and unmeasured.

Gibo as a heavy coffee drinker I fell about the floor laughing when I read your post, really.

Wearymum “Don't blame parents; they can't discipline kids they hardly see!”

So you cannot balance your responsibilities, who should be held accountable for that?

(note I am a divorced father who made sure I remained directly involved in my daughters upbringing, regardless of the threats and lies of their mother)

US “I think it all falls under the umbrella of self obsession and vanity.”

Another good observation US, a lack of understanding that other people exist or have rights.

Pelican “Perhaps the feeling of powerlessness is the cause of all this rage.”

That is just a convenient excuse,

It absolves people for the public manifestation of their poor self control and personal action choices.
Posted by Col Rouge, Saturday, 2 August 2008 12:36:57 PM
Col Rouge - Your kids were lucky to have a Father who cared enough, was mature enough, and responsible enough to put his children before himself. Other kids have not been so fortunate.

Some parents who seperate/divorce do endeavour to maintain a civil relationship to bring up their children; unfortunately others insist their need for control, revenge and vexatiousness is more important.

Congratulations on being evolved..
Posted by wearyMum, Saturday, 2 August 2008 2:37:01 PM
Ludwig you don't seem to be a rage filled person at all. You always appear very calm and rational here on OLO. :)

Col and Usual Suspect I understand where you are coming from regarding personal responsibility - but the question asked is why all this rage? Even if the reasons are only perceived - such as perceived powerlessness? That is the question.

Perhaps another reason is the overemphasis on material possessions or consumerism - call it what you will - that inevitably makes people unhappy or filled with rage?

I am no expert just thinking aloud.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 2 August 2008 6:36:53 PM
A couple of ways the government breed this rage...

The whole concept of 'User Pays'. People used to be happy, or at least accept, that their taxes would not all be spent on things that would directly benefit themselves. These days everyone thinks 'why should I have to pay for that. I don't use/need it'. It encourages selfishness.

Governments falling over themselves to show how they 'feel our pain'. We're creating a society of whingers. For every problem in the world, all you hear these days is 'The government must do something!'

pelican,

'Perhaps another reason is the overemphasis on material possessions or consumerism - call it what you will - that inevitably makes people unhappy or filled with rage? '

That's what I mean by Vanity and Envy. People do think they are time poor and feel stressed by their 'fast paced' life, but it's all due to their own Vanity in wanting to keep in the same 'class', or move up a class, and their Envy of the lifestyle they see others have.

Fear also comes into play, as in securing their 'future' or their children's 'future' that they think they can buy with $20k a year private school fees
Posted by Usual Suspect, Monday, 4 August 2008 11:01:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy