The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunipungu - His Songs - My Songs ,His Language, OUR Language .

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunipungu - His Songs - My Songs ,His Language, OUR Language .

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunipungu,
Is a wonderfull Australian Indigenous singer and guitarist from the Northern Territory just arrived on the World stage as a soloist.

Olo readers and contributors who want a break from our somewhat repetitive lives that we are inclined to live, I suggest should scamper down to their local CD store and grab a copy of Geoffrey's unique and uplifting music.

Sellout concerts at the Opera House - Not bad for someone black and blind from birth !
Posted by kartiya jim, Tuesday, 22 July 2008 11:56:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
kartiya jim,

I note you have spelled the artist's surname (if that is the appropriate designation) 'Yunipungu' in both the title to your topic and the body of your post. It's just that every time I have seen the name in print, it has been spelled 'Yunupingu'.

Am I mistakenly assuming Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunipungu (as you spell it) to be related to Gulaarwy Yunupingu, and therefore wrongly expecting what may be merely very similar names to be spelled identically? Is it that there are varying ways of legitimately rendering the name in print? Is it that the whitefella media have had it wrong all along? Or, heaven forbid, that you have made, and repeated, a typo yourself?

I'm not trying to nit pick. It's just that the matter of mis-spelling in topic titles (and the possibility of editorial correction thereof) is topical in the Technical Support thread 'Suggestions for OLO' at the moment.

Can you confirm the correct spelling of his name?
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Wednesday, 23 July 2008 12:42:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The correct spelling is Yunupingu. It's just a mere typo, don't worry about it.

His music is fantastic. Geoffrey also is called Gudjuk.
Posted by philips, Wednesday, 23 July 2008 1:51:06 PM
Thanks Forrest and philips ,

My humblest apologies . As you say, it's YUNUPINGU ... [and now my language is more like his .]

For a quick uplifting listen, one can go to youTube to hear him in action .

They are new songs in a very old Australian tongue .

I think he will be a great inspiration to many musicians and singers .
Posted by kartiya jim, Wednesday, 23 July 2008 2:30:56 PM
Dear kartiya jim,

Thank You for bringing our attention to this
gifted musician.

Sounds wonderful, and I'm going to my music
store tomorrow.

Talk about excellent timing. I've got friends
in LA - who love everything Australian, and
there's a birthday coming up.

This would make a perfect gift for them.
As well as one for me, of course.

Big hug,
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 23 July 2008 6:37:09 PM
IS Yothu Yindi still around?

I'm a Kiwi; the first time I heard TRIBAL indigenous Aussie music it just blew me away. You hear bits and pieces in the mainstream, or dedicated radio stations but I what I heard was in the dirt. Amazing.

I came across some more at an Xavier Rudd concert in Brisbane. He had brought some fellas down from the north and they went through songs that were....performed....I guess, when passing through 'foreign' lands, greetings, and other traditional stuff. Truly amazing.

Honoured to see it.
Posted by StG, Friday, 25 July 2008 7:22:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy