The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Panic Now

Panic Now

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Total BS.We have no control over the prime drivers of inflated fuel.China and India created the demand OPEC and the oil companies decided to profiteer.The Global warming debate,is just that.Nothing has been resolved.They cannot predict the planet's climate trends any better than the prediction of the local weather.

We have enormous amounts of gas which will last 140yrs or longer if we alone use it.We in the land of Aust could have had it all,but alas squandered it.Welcome to third world poverty thanks to our greedy State Govts and federal Govts with short term vision.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 9:11:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Col and Q&A.
Yes, I cringed too when I realised the spelling mistake 'after' I'd hit the "post" button, but it was an honest mistake.

Totally off subject, but I cringe even more when reading through many of the posts both here and on other sites and realise just how far our grasp of the English language and it's spelling has fallen since I went to school. Some of the posts are extremely difficult to read at times and the lack differentiation between simple words such as 'to' and 'too' or 'their' and 'there' astounds me.

Anyway, I feel, I believe, acceptably humbled and have duly taken it "on the chin" and in good humor :-)
Posted by Aime, Thursday, 29 May 2008 11:42:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay hit the nail on the head when he said "We have enormous amounts of gas which will last 140yrs or longer if we alone use it.We in the land of Aust could have had it all,but alas squandered it.Welcome to third world poverty thanks to our greedy State Govts and federal Govts with short term vision."

Yes we should be using public transport where possible, but first we need to rebuild the public transport infrastructure --> so lose the budget money for road infrastructure.
The generators of electricity and gas need to invest in gas, solar energy, we need to generate electricity on house rooves to reduce the wastage. When electricity travels 200km we lose a third of the electricity generated due to line resistance etc.
Posted by billie, Thursday, 29 May 2008 11:51:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My goodness, I actually find myself agreeing with BOAZ, but only marginally ! This was over the sickening display of wealth that some people can deliver. However I suppose the diamond encrusted Car did supply a lot of work to an awful lot of people.

I often wonder about those who rail against capitalism (sure it is not perfect by any means) and if they realise that they are also the beneficiaries of speculation and greed. If they have a superannuation fund they are almost certain to be invested in hedge funds and speculative strategies. The various government sovereign funds invest in the most powerful and "exploitive" companies to get the best returns and if they didn't, they wouldn't put their money there. Churches who also invest in managed funds would also be captive to the uncertainties of the best possible return. Capitalism works on competition within accepted laws. If you want more laws, the competition gets affected and results in a restrictive and controlled economy. There has to be a Happy medium.

So BOAZ and all those who benefit, think where your money comes from unless you want to become a Muslim who feels it is not right to even get interest on his money.
Posted by snake, Thursday, 29 May 2008 12:00:37 PM
Ahhh Boaz, do you believe the speculators are actually taking delivery
and storing this oil ?
There is not enough storage available to do what you suggest, not by a long way.
If you believe they are forward buying then they are taking an enourmous risk.
If another group of hoarders suddenly start selling the price will fall
and they would lose enormous amounts of money.
No, the forward buying has to be very carefully done by such organisations
as airlines, but they cannot forward buy in anywhere near the quantities
that would cause the effects you put on these mysterious speculators.

Like everything in this field it is the enormous size of the oil
consumption that makes these rumours unbelievable.

The nonsense of of uproar over a 5 cent tax reduction just shows how
stupid are the politicians.
I see the truck drivers are complaining bitterly and demanding the
government "do something". They just don't understand that they will
have to take their loads to the rail yards.
This is a permanent problem and the sooner the politicians admit it
the better off we will all be.
The US may become that desperate that the Saudis will tell them to
become good moslems and they will get all the oil they need, Allah be praised !

There you are Boaz, something else to worry about, hi !
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 29 May 2008 1:11:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy