The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > If Phoenix finds life on Mars it will probably indicate an impending doom for humans!

If Phoenix finds life on Mars it will probably indicate an impending doom for humans!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Easy Times.

I know not all organism need oxygen : e.g., anaerobic bacteria in the Earth's biosphere. With word limits, it is necessary to focus a little too much.

Regarding, ourselves in time AND space Kant posited before-after perception is internal and time and space are external and that causality might be a delusion. A coping mechaninism. The idea was dropped, after Einstein started working with space-time. However, Kant's concept re-emerged in the 1950s in the context of QM [from c.1900].

Even on Earth, finding life-forms over 600 million years old is difficult, because generally [not universally] soft-bodied creatures do not fossilise and if they do the fossils are often crushed by the build-up of rock sentimentation [Leakey] or destroyed by weather or displaced by plate tectonics.

The point about oxygen was that if primitive creatures tend be associated with low oxygen levels. If the aforesaid were found on Mars, it is a pointer to more advanced forms of life existing on planets with higher oxygen levels. It would show the "potental for life" is not merely an Earth-place phenomenon.

Cheers,

O
Posted by Oliver, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 12:47:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Easytimes -

No, I didn't think for a moment you were trying to scare people: was just leading into why I actually didn't find the premise you referred to very convincing.

I was clumsily trying to say what you said so much better: "To say that the universe and time have boundaries would be a total paradox but then again to say that they dont have boundaries would also create a paradox. If either are correct it would boggle the mind and one of them has to be!" In either case I personally would not take evidence from our limited area of knowledge as representative of any truisms which would pertain throughout. I simply cannot get my head around contemplation of the infinite - and paradoxically cannot accept that there are limits or boundaries to the universe.

And yep - I agree 100% that it is mind-boggling! Perhaps because I am way out of my depth here.
Posted by Romany, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 1:08:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Read the Book of Revelation.
Nothing is going to happen that is not in that book.
Luke chapter 21 and Matthew chapter 24 are also references.
Gods Got His hand on the planet and its going to be His Way not the way of mens thinking.
A quick reference can also be seen on signs that we are in the endtimes.
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 1:19:44 PM
Romany,

And time and space may have been smeared before Planck time. Weird stuff.

Greetings.

Gibo,

I have been thinking about your account of Relevation and still feel it could be a mimic of Titus crossing the Euphates c. 70 CE.

If the accounts of John's exile are true, he would be writing around c. 95, about five years before the Jewish eschation [year 4,000] and less than a generation after the event, I have just outlined. So, John had a recent template and near-coming event in his mind. John's end days being 100 CE [equal to the year 4,000 on the Jewish calendar]?

p.s I have had a looked at Dodecanesian Patmos on a map, as you prompted.

Cheers.
Posted by Oliver, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 6:54:27 PM
Thanks Oliver I did not know that about the problem of soft bodied creatures being fossilized it maybe a lot harder to find proof of life on places like mars after all. It was also interesting the point you made about the relationship between oxygen levels and the intelligence of the life forms. 600million years ago were earth’s oxygen level substantially less then they are today?

Romany – Its really an amazing thought isn’t it – You cant have a beginning of time because what was happening before time began? But if time is infinite an infinite number of steps must occur before we get to this current period in time.. thus if time was infinite we would never get to where we are now.

If space is infinite then every possible observation MUST be made due to the fact that there are infinite possibilities within infinite space. So every movie/story whether true or fiction is actually occurring somewhere in the universe right now due to infinitecy if you believe this theory. If the universe is of a fixed size what is the barrier? and whats outside the barrier?

To get around these problems some people have put forward the idea that both space and time are round. So if you go far enough in one direction you will come back to the beginning. Time travel is even proposed in this way. Who knows this maybe the ten zillionth time I have posted this message and I may post it ten zillion times more if that theory is true
Posted by EasyTimes, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 10:42:07 PM
On a slightly different subject does anybody know if any scientist have run big bang simulators to try and work out how much of the universe we can observe from earth? We know currently that there are more then 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe but we don’t know how many are out side the observable universe due to the fact that the light from them has not reached us yet.

If I remember correctly everything is moving away from everything else at the speed of light so we will never be able to see most of the universe due to the light from it never being able to catch up to us. So the 100 billion galaxies may only be 0.000000000000001% of the universe
Posted by EasyTimes, Wednesday, 28 May 2008 10:44:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy