The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Chance - Our Prime Minister.

Chance - Our Prime Minister.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Definitely the better choice of the two tweedles and perhaps we did need a Rudd as a softer blander figure in stark contrast to a Howard (or heaven forbid a Downer or a Costello - or an Abbott).

While I understand that some things are out of government control there are many things that are not - caring for our pensioners and carers, rebates for alternative energies without means testing just to name two. If Rudd is serious about environmental and other matters like homelessness etc, he needs to walk the walk not just talk the talk.

But as Foxy says it is still early days and maybe he will listen to what the public is telling him and be open to consultation including reassessing where needed. And not continue in the same strong "I am out of touch, economic grwoth at all costs" vein reminiscent of the dark Howard era.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 26 May 2008 7:00:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As I stated earlier, let's just wait and see what happens.

I personally have faith in the man.

He certainly can't do worse than the previous government.

But, I'm hoping that he will do better, much better.

Anyway, time will tell - and if he doesn't deliver, you can make it count at the ballot box.

But be honest, would you really want to go back to the Howard years?

I wouldn't.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 26 May 2008 8:11:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“It never ceases to amaze me how quick people are with their criticisms.”

Foxy, do you think my criticisms of Rudd are unfounded or insignificant?

I consider them to be of the utmost seriousness. He has shown his true colours on the enormous issue of continuous growth versus sustainability….and he deserves the strongest possible condemnation for not only continuing down the rapid expansionist path, but for actually increasing the rate of expansion.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 26 May 2008 8:19:25 PM
Dear Ludwig,

American political analysts have concluded that it takes at least 3 years to evaluate, analyse, and program the events of the previous administration and current world trends, and 1 year to re-act favourably. And, it takes a further four years to develop a positive result.

We in Australia have a 3 year term of office, frequently truncated by the insecurities of the government in power wishing to be re-elected and calling an early election. So don't you think it would be fair to give the newly elected government its full three year term to meet its promises or at least secure the promises for a further 3 years of commitment?

The current petrol crisis is governed by the world market and is beyond the control of any government in power anywhere in the world.

We in Australia are too quick to jump to criticism without giving an
Australian "Fair Go" to anybody trying to do something different -
(long term) for the benefit of the country. Most of us are easily satisfied with short term solutions only despite the damage caused in the future.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 26 May 2008 8:34:42 PM
Foxy, we can’t afford to give our government three years before we evaluate them. I don’t think that that is a realistic proposition at all, not in our rapidly changing times and not at any time in our nation’s past. The main policies and directions of a government become apparent very quickly.

There is an urgent need to reduce our rate of immigration so that the overall pressure being placed on our stressed resource base will at least stop rapidly and continuously increasing. This is particularly obvious with water in our cities. It is also utterly duplicitous for Rudd to be pursuing large reductions in greenhouse gas emissions while at the same time boosting the already rapid rate of increase in the number of emitters.

We desperately needed a major slowing of expansionism off the end of the Howard era. I would have accepted a careful slowing, by gently reducing immigration and phasing out the disgusting baby bonus. In fact I would have expected that, after Rudd’s rhetoric in the election campaign and through the year or so before it, during which he had a prolific media presence. I was not at all expecting him to actually increase immigration.

The path has been set, not only for the next three years, but for the life of the Rudd government, which is bound to run at least two terms. Rudd deserves my strongest condemnation.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 26 May 2008 8:56:26 PM
Ludwig, I'm not very impressed by Rudd's approach to various issues either. Far too populist, growthist and ridiculous over this latest Henson thing.

But still better than Howard. Way better.

Rainier - yes, there's more than a hint of Chauncy about Harry Potter :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 26 May 2008 9:07:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy