The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Sensible, bi-partisan debating...

Sensible, bi-partisan debating...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Hi dear Foxy :)

please don't worry too much about 'passionate' outbursts.. I give em..and I get em...

There are those who seek to "surgically disect" me..(Pericles and CJ)
Those who just blather hate and contempt (Ginx)
Those who seek to counsel (FH when he is around) and your goodself.

But I don't mind all that. I posted some rather colorful comments on the 'Protecting Australians Rights' thread.. comparing the article to 'cultural gas chambers' (which I absolutely stand by)

So, it's give and take..let's not supress the passion, only the 'monomania' :)

Personal insults, well.. I do agree, they don't help any argument. (Ginx..Marilyn Shepherd) r u reading? :)

By all means attack an argument or opinion...but when someone manifests the symptoms of moron-itus.... (lacking in judgement) I don't think its wrong to suggest they might currently 'be' a 'moron' :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 30 April 2008 7:00:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with you Foxy.

There is a difference between “playful banter” and personal abuse and cyber bullying. It's sad that some people can't distinguish between the two.

It is happening everywhere, from primary school playgrounds to here on OLO.

Some of the repercussions of this emotional abuse have actually led to physical violence and suicide.

I think it has something to do with adults’ (mainly) lack of respect for the people and environment around them. They internalise their fears and in turn this is reflected in their outward behaviour.

Children see this, learn and accept this as normal.

Generally, family and societal values are disintegrating; this does not bode well for solving the problems that the planet’s societies are facing now, let alone what could face them in the future.

On a more pessimistic note, I don’t think this behaviour will get any better.

Regards
Posted by Q&A, Wednesday, 30 April 2008 7:04:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The insults will always be there, Foxy, when people find themselves challenged on their own cherished position. Just ignore the childishness and debate the subject is my preferred way of dealing with it. Mind you, if pushed, I'm more than happy to point out the personal failings of those who won't stick to the point...

A good and creative insult is still a valid debating tactic, it's just that so few are either good or creative.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 30 April 2008 7:43:19 AM
"Sensible, bi-partisan debating..."

Lol. Not on here. The setup is too difficult to actually debate issues. Adding links, and quotes, even some proof is practically impossible with post limits and various other regulations. This is an opinion site, not a debating one. No one is forced to prove their assertations.

Insulting is just a product of frustration.
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 30 April 2008 9:23:24 AM
They started it.
Posted by Vanilla, Wednesday, 30 April 2008 10:30:48 AM
up the mighty Sea Eagles

used to be the Sea Gulls when I first went to Brookie in 1953 as a young sprog, and yes it was Manly vs Canterbury Bankstown

but to return to this thread, it is my firm belief that Political Correctness is the worst affliction a race can have, be it that of Germany in 1930s or the Gender War we are in now

That is because PC has a dumbing down effect on the masses, hence Hitler saying

"It is a great benefit to governments that the people do not think"

So in my book I find PC posts such as Foxy just blurting out doctrine of pollies eg equality of sexes etc, more offensive than "offence" [if you know what I mean - Valvolene]

Hell, even Uni Students have given up protesting and become Comotosed
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Wednesday, 30 April 2008 12:21:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy