The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lest We Forget

Lest We Forget

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
And don't be so stingy on the War Veteran's pensions!
Posted by Usual Suspect, Thursday, 24 April 2008 1:52:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When I see "multiculturists" demonstrating and fighting on our Aussie streets-I wonder why our diggers fought and died.
Was it for this?
Posted by mickijo, Thursday, 24 April 2008 2:12:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah, you're right StG: it IS "condemn". Exactly what the IMI teen-speak was in aid of eludes me, though.

And you're right about the other thing: anyone who feels nauseated at the moronic, TV-driven aping of mindless nationalistic masturbation, US-style, must be a drug-addicted conspiracy theorist. The line of logic is so clear, it's a wonder that adults don't use it.
Posted by Sancho, Thursday, 24 April 2008 2:45:47 PM
""When I see "multiculturists" demonstrating and fighting on our Aussie streets-I wonder why our diggers fought and died.
Was it for this?
Posted by mickijo, Thursday, 24 April 2008 2:12:20 PM""

I hope so, the fact that the 'multiculturalists' are able to demonstrate on our streets is the reason why.

Australians have freedom of speech, I would hope that this is what the diggers died for.
Posted by izzo, Thursday, 24 April 2008 4:46:16 PM
Dear Mickijo,

You wondered what our diggers fought for?

On 25th April 1915 a new world was born. A new side of man's character was revealed. The spirit of ANZAC was kindled. It flared with a previously unknown, almost superhuman strength. There was a determination, a zest, a drive which swept up from the beaches on Gallipoli Peninsula as the ANZACs thrust forward with their torch of freedom.

As they fell, they threw those following the torch so their quest would maintain its momentum. That Torch of Freedom has continually been thrown from falling hands, has kindled in the catchers' souls a zeal and desire for both our individual liberty and our countries' liberty. That desire has been handed down with the memory that burns as brightly as the flame which first kindled it.

But the spirit of ANZACs is not confined to the battlefield. It lives in the schools, on the sports fields, in fact all over these great countries of Australia and New Zealand.

The sun invades our bodies and makes us "mad," mad for freedom - freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom to live and think as you will.

The spirit of ANZAC is not something we can see but a powerful driving sensation that can only be felt. It is a feeling that burns in the heart of every Australian and New Zealand countryman. A warm, tender, fiery, even melancholy ideal that nurtures intense patriotism in the innermost soul of every body. Many foundation ANZACs died, but their glorious challenge to catch the thrown torch shouts loud and strong to all.

Their goal was freedom for the land they loved. Today we stand safe and free, clothed with all the privileges and rights of citizens in these great free countries - we owe to those men who fought, endured, suffered, and died for us and for their country. Most of all we owe them the celebration of recognising values that unite rather than divide us. And that includes recognising our Indigenous history and the celebration of our status as an immigrant nation.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 April 2008 5:06:14 PM
"Like them, remember that prosperity can be only for the free, that freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."

Interestingly, it is domestic tyranny and authoritarianism in all western nations that must be defended against, rather than an external enemy.
Posted by Steel, Friday, 25 April 2008 3:52:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy