The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > National Laws And Policies

National Laws And Policies

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
CONT'D...

Thirdly, Australia's multiculturalism-the recognition of the equal worth of its diverse people-is contradcited by privileging its British component through the office of head of state. Moreover, its method of selection, involving hereditary succession, the exclusion of Roman Catholics, and preference for male heirs, all run counter to the fundamental Australian values of equality and a "fair go" for all, regardless of race, religion, or sex.

Republican government is founded on popular sovereignty. All public officers derive their authority from the people either directly through election or indirectly through appointment by those elected by the people. Australian government is already essentially republican in that its constitution was approved by the electors before enactment at Westminster and can be amended only with their consent in a referendum. Public officers are chosen directly or indirectly by the people, with one significant excpetion: the office at the apex of the system, the head of state.

The principle of hereditary succession to public office contradicts not only the core republican principle of popular sovereignty, but also its more fundamental corollary: the equal dignity and worth of every human being. In a hereditary monarchy, some people are born superior to others.

Republican government also connotes compliance with the rule of law,
implementation of the separation of powers, and protection of individual rights and freedoms. Australian government is already republican in this respect; once the monarchy is abolished and the office of head of state is reconstituted on republican principles, Australia will truly be a republic.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 April 2008 3:22:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, what makes you think we won't agree on very much at all?

Like you, I would prefer Australia to be a republic. I’m certainly no monarchist. It's just that there's no-one here capable of becoming a true head of state, as I’ve already stated. That's why I wasn't too fazed about us being seen as (unrealistically) a British colony. Mind you, our majority is still of Brit/Irish descent.

Right now, if the public was asked to nominate for an Aussie President, who do you think would be named? Favourite footy stars, cricket 'legends', 'You Think You Can Dance' contestants or 'Big Brother' characters? An Aussie actor? If you think I exaggerate, just look at some of the ‘participants’ of the 2020 summit.

I disagree that we are 'dependent on another country'. Most of this thinking comes from a collective inferiority complex that has no basis. Also, how does this perceived dependence affect our relations with our Asian neighbours?

You think that Australia's multiculturalism is contradicted by privileging its British component. Britain is even more multi-cultural than Australia so what do you mean here?

I note that you never commented on the fact that our links to the USA are now stronger than those to ‘the old country’. We don’t fight Brit wars anymore but are always there for the Yanks.

Who would you like for president?
Posted by Austin Powerless, Friday, 25 April 2008 6:14:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Austin,

Who would I like for President?

Not Barry Humphries.

Seriously though, let's become a republic first.

Cheers.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 25 April 2008 9:56:04 PM
Seriously, Foxy, we can't consider becoming a republic and then root around for a leader.

Both must come at the same time. Otherwise we'll be likened to a headless chicken.
Posted by Austin Powerless, Saturday, 26 April 2008 12:48:17 PM
Dear Austin,

I'm sure that there will be quite a few suitable people who will be
nominated for the position.

Along the lines of Malcolm Fraser for example.

He was the first PM to seriously address the issues of Indigenous Australians, and after leaving office has become very much an elder statesman, focusing much on human rights and poverty.

Anyway, as I said - let's wait and see whose name comes up.

I'm sure there will be quite a competent choice.

Australia is after all no longer the cultural backwater of the 1950s.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 26 April 2008 9:01:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy