The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The 2020 Summit: A Labor Party Love In or something new?

The 2020 Summit: A Labor Party Love In or something new?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
1000 Australians will meet and discuss 10 topics over 3 days in Canberra.

Will this hot-housing of brains and brilliance deliver inspirational solutions to some of the most pressing social, environmental and economic issues facing the nation?

More importantly, will what they come up with as "solutions" to the questions they are given to ponder be given serious consideration by government?

Or will this Summit simply be a bit of political theatrical drama dressed up to look like a serious government initiative?

Of particular interest to me is the Indigenous component of the 2020 Summit. In this forum participants will be asked to consider;

• How we forge a new partnership with between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australia to overcome disadvantage and provide practical pathways to the future

• The role of targeted programs and interventions such as the Northern Territory Intervention and the Cape York Welfare Reform Trials in achieving change in remote communities

• How we might promote economic development in remote Australia to provide Indigenous community members with the opportunity to be economically independent

• Improving access to mainstream programs by Indigenous Australians

• Promoting and preserving Indigenous culture, languages and traditions.

Many of these questions have already been researched, answered and discussed ad nausea and then written up in numerous government funded inquiries and reports.

What will this Summit generate other than more of the same advice they have already been given?

Will Fed and State Labor governments ignore some of the more controversial issues emanating from the Summit in preference to their own policies that are aligned often to the populist policies of those they have chosen to participate in this Summit?

Noel Pearson is a case in point.

The fall out from this Summit could be counter productive to its intentions.

What’s your opinion?
Posted by Rainier, Sunday, 30 March 2008 9:36:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainer I hope at the 2020 summit they make some tough recommendations to help out the black fella’s!

1. Economic incentives to get families away from whoop whoop and into civilisation.
2. All aboriginal parents should be taught how to raise children which will be able to get on in not just black communities but also white.
3. Those living off welfare should only be given food stamps or a form there of so as to stop them blowing all there money on liquor and other miscellaneous substances and force them into finding work.
4. Getting them more involved in the mining boom or the running of big stations.
5. If they are young and jobless they should get a universal boot up the arse to move to somewhere where they can work. Unemployment is about 4.2%! There should be no excuse!
6. LOTS AND LOTS OF TOUGH LOVE.

Rainer what more needs to be done to preserve indigenous cultures? I was in NT recently and there are quite a few aboriginal museums and art galleries there which were quite interesting. There is black fella tv on the abc or sbs and I am sure there is a plethora of written and record history and culture of the aborigines. What more do you think is needed
Posted by EasyTimes, Sunday, 30 March 2008 10:52:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Ranier....

of course it will be a talk-fest.. just like many Christian Conferences.

We get in a hot shot "International Speaker"... he delivers a soul stirring message... and we go back to our normal lives.

I do see value though in such talk-fests, as they can change the attitudes of important key people... who in turn can have a broader impact later.

Also, it depends on what is viewed as a 'positive outcome'.. if 'return Australia to Indigenous rule' is not discussed and promoted..I guess there will be some there or observing who will describe it as a total flop.

There will be a spectrum of opinions, and expectations. But don't get ur hopes up too far,...Easy Times gave you a list of possibilities, and I by and large agree with most of them. Food Stamps especially. but on point 1.. bring them in from Whoop Whoop...not sure if that's such a great idea.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 31 March 2008 10:06:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Rainier,

I am optimistic about the 2020 Summit.

According to Rudd - the Government has no interest in a talkfest. The Government's interest is in harnessing and harvesting ideas from the community that are capable of being shaped into concrete policy actions.

Government, irrespective of its political persuasion, does not have a monopoly on policy wisdom. To thrive and prosper in the future it needs to draw on the range of talents, ideas and energy from across the Australian community.

For too long Australian policymaking has been focused on short-term outcomes dictated by the electoral cycle.

If Australia is to effectively confront the challenges of the future, it needs to develop an agreed national direction that looks at the next ten years and beyond.

For these reasons, the Government will also be inviting the Leader of the Federal Opposition to participate in the Summit, together with State Premiers, Chief Ministers and their Opposition counterparts.

In addition to those participating in the Summit, all Australians will be invited to make submissions on each of the 10 future challenges. These will be submitted to the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet which will act as the secretariat for the Summit.

The fact that the future of indigenous Australia is included in the 10 challenges along with strengthening communities, supporting families, and social inclusion, plus a long-term national health strategy - including the challenges of preventative health - is a very positive step.

The fact that the Government promises to provide its reasons for embracing its course of action for the future - means that it will be accountable.

I agree with the Government's belief that Australians, whatever their political views, can come together to build a modern Australia capable of meeting the challenges of the 21st century.

Nothing like this has ever been attempted in the past - let's not put
a damper on it - before it even gets under way.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 31 March 2008 2:11:18 PM
I will watch the outcomes with hardly suppressed cynicism.
I am willing to bet that all the findings will presume a business as
usual approach, modified only to suit a politically correct salute
to global warming.

There will be no assumption that fuel for food production and all
other purposes will be in short supply.
Remember that even Shell believes that there will supply problems
five years before 2020.

Likewise there will be no recommendation on what method should be used
to ration petrol and diesel fuel. There will be no recommendation to
reserve from export any part of our natural gas or coal.

Mark my words and I give you permission to say "See you were wrong" if
someone wakes them up.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 31 March 2008 3:09:06 PM
I read the list of participants with boredom - same old faces as before. Rudd reckoned he did not want the usual suspects. He should have ruled out all trade union officials, all reps fromt he 'big end' of town, all academics and all former politicians. Journalists should have been permitted to attend to report rather than participate.
This is a Labor Party bash - and you can bet your life that union officials will be paid for by the unions and that CEOs will find a way to use it as a company tax deduction and academics will get money from the university coffers...and the journalists will put it on the expense sheet...definitely a Labor Party Love In and I am less optimistic than ever about the future of Australia
Posted by Communicat, Monday, 31 March 2008 4:09:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy