The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The power sell Off and the Labor and Unions struggle.

The power sell Off and the Labor and Unions struggle.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Why is it that these parties and organisations have so little regard for the people.

Why is it that those in government are not there for us but for their own policy.

Why is it that the people are unaware that Rudds labor backs the privatisation of NSW power.

What is next, our hospitals.
Posted by tapp, Wednesday, 5 March 2008 12:04:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Our modern day state Govts seem to be both incompetent and corrupt. Bob Carr states that desalinated water is like selling bottled electricity.It is both too expensive and too pollutive.So off Bob goes to the Middle East and hey presto,a change of heart.We must have a desal plant at any cost.No consideration for recycling or water tanks.Something is very smelly about this.Desal uses enormous amounts of electricity and we are trying to sell off ours for $15 billion.Our Govt also makes a very good return,I heard in the order of 20% profit,so why sell off such a good income earning asset and keep all the infrastructure such as power lines to paid for by the tax payer?

They will have this money spent in a few years and will have to increase taxes to make up for the shortfall in Electricity dividends.
I think the theory runs like this,private enterprise can change the workforce,make 50% profit and the Govt gets 40% back in taxes so they can have it both ways,but who is going to pay for the infrastructure?

I would not trust this lot.They are in a desperate situation with the state suffering further interest rate increases and Iemma Govt cannot reduce their own excessive taxes and charges without sacking bureaucrats.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 5 March 2008 4:40:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PROBLEM 1..... Premier Iemma said "We need the money"

So.... the state is nearly bankrupt ?

PROBLEM 2......If they 'need' the money now... what happens 'next' time they run out ? Once you have sold all the assets.. and have nothing left..... ?

SOLUTION. Of course they only have the problems because of mismanagement. Quite likely the state has been managed as a kind of on going trade off between competing interests, and all of those interests are self seeking.
Repentance is the solution... because 'people' are the problem.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 5 March 2008 9:59:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Once apon a time, who would have thought that a Labor Party would be selling off our publicly owned assets.

Selling off public assets (particularly power) for short term financial gain would suggest severe mismanagement and adopting this misguided kneejerk reaction for short term gain does not instil any confidence in this government. Trouble is the other mob is no different.

These assets are publicly owned - when does the taxpayer get a vote? I fear that the next target will by the Snowy Hydro Scheme which only missed being sold off recently due to public backlash prior to the NSW State election.

When NZ privatised power they were greeted not long after with a power blackout because the new owners, wanting to increases their profit margin, decided that regular maintenance was too costly.

Joys ahead.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 6 March 2008 9:34:37 AM
It's not long now before we have an air tax.
In the old days water, electricity, gas, LPgas were all State owned. If they ran at a profit we all gained.
If they ran at a loss we all paid through taxes.
At least I don't live in NSW. If I did, my favourite passtime, 4WD'ing in the bush would be very difficult.
How much money has NSW spent on National Parks?
Posted by phoenix94, Thursday, 6 March 2008 9:55:33 AM
As much as I strongly disagree with the notion of selling public assets, I am yet to hear any real response from the State Opposition.

In fact I am yet to hear ANY alternative proposals on ANYTHING, other than the predictable gainsaying and criticism of everything the Government does.

If they really want to be considered an alternative, it's time to put-up or shut-up.

Just saying "vote for us, we may not be quite as bad" just doesn't cut it anymore.

How about a public statement that they would not privatise electricity if elected?

Not likely.
Posted by wobbles, Thursday, 6 March 2008 10:04:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy