The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Don't Apologize For Me!

Don't Apologize For Me!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All
So much ignorance expressed in a single post from katheedavis.

As Vanilla has pointed out, the apology is specifically NOT on behalf of the Australian people, rather it is to be made on behalf of the Parliament.

Further, these events didn't take place "a century ago". If you'd bothered to read the 'Bringing Them Home' report upon which the apology is to be based (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/special/rsjproject/rsjlibrary/hreoc/stolen/), you'd be aware that the forced removal of Aboriginal children from their families continued until the 1970s. I'm sure you know people who were alive then.

"I'm pretty certain that there are at least ten people in this nation that don't agree with this thing"

Finally, in her last sentence, something that resembles a fact.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 8 February 2008 4:42:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Katheedavis

I concur with your view kathee

I am quite able to apologize to people I have wronged.

The whole thing is a beef up to extract money from the public purse, a sort of cargo cult attitude to your and my taxes.

More and more information is coming to light. The supposed stolen generation were, in the large, being saved from the sort of horrific neglect and abuse which we have seen reported in court cases of aboriginals in recent months, the sort of abuse which the recently departed federal government had the courage to stand up against.

Like HenryVIII (the poster not the monarch) said ”On the face of it, the aborigines have not had too bad a time,”

Just put it down to the comparative benevolence emanating from the inherited virtues of British colonial rule.
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 8 February 2008 5:06:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Vanilla: I find that news sources, such as the ABC or news.com.au, can really help sort out these little misunderstandings.

Rolling with laughter after reading this !

Auntie ABC does some really great reporting, however it wears its blinkers for most appearances.

For the apology, am busy trying to determine if means my left side should be apologizing to my right side, or the other way around.
Posted by polpak, Friday, 8 February 2008 7:48:41 PM
You can dribble on until the cows come in! Throwing mud will get you all nowhere. Apologies! Is that going to make it all better!
Ask for your piece, and make them help you! How strong would the fathers of the past think if they had the opportunity that the new generation has today? If you leave them as they are, they Will become extincted! And thats a fact! What has been put into aboriginal funding, that city I spoke about be four, would be filled with hope, tourism, independences, Some feel that those pommie so and so,s, should give you all ago. What they don't see is, that Australia would be the first in the world to help and support the old world into the new.

Think about it! Build them a city and help them run it! Go down in history has the best, and not a bunch of hateful bastards.
Posted by evolution, Saturday, 9 February 2008 1:41:13 AM
I am Scottish by the way. Check out the correlation.
Posted by evolution, Saturday, 9 February 2008 2:17:01 AM
I was part of the so called "stolen generation" even though in reality I was "rescued". Lets put emotion aside for a minute and go beyond the one sided "stolen" argument. Some kids were removed from unfit parents, some simply abondoned and some surrended willingly. They were NOT taken because of their aboriginality. They were children that were being abused, sometimes sexually. Never any mention of white kids that were "stolen" for the same reason. I wonder why. I suppose in 10 or 15 years another sorry apology will be demanded for the recent N.T. intervention. What's happening now in these communities is the same as what was happening then. Kids as young as 1 year old being sexually abused or 8,9,10 yr olds being gang raped. Lets not forget about the parents offering their children for sex for as little as some alcohol or cigarettes. This is the reality. Why did the Government of the day intervene? Someone had to just as they have to now. The aborigines aren't doing much about it except turning a blind eye. I was fostered out to a caring, loving family who provided me with a safe happy home, a good education but above all gave me the love and affection that every child deserves. If compensation is to be paid it should be paid as reimbursement to the families that were kind enough to raise these kids. Make no mistake this sorry nonsense is more about money. Most of the "stolen" gen were given a better life like me. Sorry for what? PLEEAASSEE.
Posted by ginsyd, Saturday, 9 February 2008 6:45:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy