The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is there an Art to Ageing?

Is there an Art to Ageing?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Hello, I am a broadcast journalist with SBS World View -- a daily program on SBS Radio and online.
http://www.radio.sbs.com.au/language.php?language=World%20View
http://www20.sbs.com.au/podcasting/index.php?action=feeddetails&feedid=12&catid=1

Soon, I am going to interview an expert on ageing in the US, Dr Sherwin Nuland, who's just published "The Art of Ageing". (He's also the author of "How We Die".)

If you've got any questions you'd like me to add to my list, please respond to this. Thanks.
Posted by cada, Wednesday, 30 January 2008 9:42:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi cada.
I have no questions but I do know how to get through the age thing.
I get out on the floor of a really alive pentecostal Christian church (an Assembly of God, Christian Outreach Centre, Reachout for Christ. All are good)...one thats truly on-fire for Jesus...and get hands laid on by the pastor and elders and fall under the power of The Holy Spirit and open up and let God do the Healing.
It is so incredible wonderful to have The Holy Spirit quicken my mortal body which He so willingly does when you invite Jesus into your life and get born again (John 3:3).
This is a God process that gets rid of fear, addiction, infirmities, oppression, depression, and hundreds of other problems. Oh, sweet Jesus.
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 30 January 2008 11:29:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
any fool can age, the art is in avoiding it.

technology will soon allow the rich to avoid it, perhaps indefinitely. they will be a true 'homo superior.' here's the question:

"should homo sapiens resist the ascent of homo superior?"
Posted by DEMOS, Wednesday, 30 January 2008 1:13:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Go buy a red hot Ferrari, on hire purchase.

Thrash the daylights out of the thing, then die, before they can ask you to pay for it.

At least you can go out beating the ods.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 30 January 2008 2:01:56 PM
Death is in the species since Adam and Eve and the fall.
You cannot get it out of the species.
I would have thought man, with all that he has discovered about all that he has discovered, would by now realise that death will not go away and that science can do nothing but prolong a very few years. Its all in the Holy Bible in Genesis. There is NO! wonderous discovery to be made, that will reverse death, though you can invite Jesus Christ into your life and become born again and get set free from the final judgment...but the flesh will still die. There is only one escape and thats what we refer to as the "Rapture" of the church (1 Thessalonians chapter 4). You ought to click on it.
We cannot reject the truth of Gods Word and suddenly we live forever.
When Adam and Eve sinned, The Holy Spirit left them, and as God had said previously, as a severe warning, about not eating the fruit, the death sentence came. Only when the great spirit war on earth is over (Ephesians 6:12-18) will things change. John's Revelation, the last book in the Bible is a good read as well.
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 30 January 2008 2:25:12 PM
Dear Cada,

I've got a few questions for you to ask: They're four 'Golden Oldies.'
Myths about old age ...

1) Does being old mean rapid physical decline?

2) Are old people a financial drain on the community?

3) Do old people get shuffled off to old folks' homes by their families?

4) Is looking after old people a family burden?

I'd be very interested in how things are perceived in the US.

In Australia I've found that the older people are seen as old-fashioned, passe, finished, and we use the word "aged." I refuse to use this word. I say "aging."

Aging is a process. We're all aging from the moment we're born; whereas "aged" is a past tense, something finite. I don't feel one day older than when I was in my 20s. I see a few wrinkles and so what! They are irrelevant. "We're all temporarily young!"
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 30 January 2008 2:26:41 PM
Cada, is there somewhere you can point us to with a precis of Dr Nuland's position?

I think my Dad had the right idea when it came to aging - never give in. He died two years ago now, but in the eulogy I quoted from Tennyson's poem Ulysses. "To seek, to strive, to find, and not to yield." I also used to like Dylan Thomas's "Do not go gentle into that good night/Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

There needs to be activity and determination, or there can be no grace.
Posted by GrahamY, Wednesday, 30 January 2008 9:10:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cada, interesting post.

Dr Nuland, as far as I understand from a quick google, says it is likely that our average lifespan will increase to about 120.
I agree that this is a possibility.

My questions would be:
1. As our lifespan increases, does Dr Nuland expect that new diseases relating to aging will emergy?

2. What is Dr Nuland's stand on euthanasia (voluntary, of course)?
It's a good thing that our lifespan increases when we can keep enjoying life in fairly good health- but for those who have to face unmanageable pain and suffering with no positive outlook, should there be the option of a dignified dead rather than a long process of suffering?

Cada, I look forward to news about the interview- perhaps you can put up a link here later?
Posted by Celivia, Thursday, 31 January 2008 9:09:11 AM
Thanks Foxy, GrahamY and Celivia.. all for your suggested questions.

After I've done the interview and uploaded it onto the SBS website, I shall certainly post a link to the story here.
Posted by cada, Thursday, 31 January 2008 12:21:55 PM
A few questions:

Are any Super foods that might help in keeping healthier in old age or are we really just a slave to our genes?

Are there any additives and preservatives (chemicals) we should avoid in foods? I have heard that nitrites (or is it nitrates) used in preserving luncheon meats are a big no no as far as greatly increasing your cancer risks.

What changes will society have to make to accommodate a longer lifespan?

Thanks Cada. Will look out for the story.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 31 January 2008 8:56:50 PM
The art to ageing is to embrace it whole heartedly.
Get up WHEN YOU PLEASE in the morning, make whatever you please for breakfast, enjoy each cup of whatever and then contemplate the lovely day.Relax in the peace and quiet,[ if you cannot- remember -rowdy ,clamourous mornings of finding shoes, homework, fighting kids, whining kids,screechy kids- ]and relax in the peace of your nice, tidy home. Then plan your leisurely day [-if you cannot- remember- the rat race of working, rearing your mob and running ,running with never enough time ].
Have a nice easy lunch of what ever you please. Read if you want, garden if you want, do what ever you want 'cause the day is yours.
After your evening meal, watch YOUR choice of television and go to your peaceful nights rest .
Life is never boring when you are older, there is so much choice and all of it is yours to enjoy,. Tend to your own needs, love yourself and enjoy most of all, the tranquillity that comes with ageing.
Posted by mickijo, Saturday, 2 February 2008 3:07:14 PM
Hi again everyone. Thanks for contributing your ideas and question angles.

I have interviewed Dr Sherwin Nuland; you can hear it as a podcast by clicking on the following link:

http://www20.sbs.com.au/podcasting/index.php?action=feeddetails&feedid=12&id=10596

I'd like to be able to post similar threads in the future..., before I interview authors and other interesting people!

cada
Posted by cada, Wednesday, 6 February 2008 9:57:25 AM
POSTSCRIPT: If any of you have any comments or feedback about the interview, please pass them on!

And, if you'd like me to credit your name or pseudonym in future interviews, please indicate that as well.

Thanks.
Posted by cada, Friday, 8 February 2008 10:10:09 AM
Thank you, cada, i rally enjoyed listening to that very interesting interview! Dr Nuland sounds like a positive, pleasant man.

Although time didn't allow you to go into the rather big issue of (voluntary) euthanasia, Dr Nuland did say that he has problems accepting death but that he'd rather go down rapidly at the end of his life than deteriorate slowly.

What he said about diet is what I wanted to hear! Enjoy your food, just don't overeat.

He actually said many things that my Grandmother used to say (who had good health until shortly before her death at the age of 93) especially about diet and mental stimulation.

Feel free to credit my name as you wish in future interviews, I leave it up to you to decide.
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 8 February 2008 7:02:17 PM
Hi Cada, interesting topic.
I have heard mentioned several times(places?) that under-eating prolongs age?
and recently the TV(Channel?) has shown a documentary stating that excercise not only KEEPS us LOOKING up to TEN years YOUNGER, and that science(who i cannot remember) has discovered that these subjects CELL"S also appear to be in the same 10 years younger condition.
Could you find out more about these claims? and let us know!
Thanks Cada
Posted by mariah, Friday, 8 February 2008 11:29:27 PM
Great interview Cada. Loved it when he referred to the younger guys, "in their 40s". At my gym that's getting to be one of the "older guys", but when you're 78, as he is, I guess looking at a 40 year old is the same thing as a 48 year old looking at a teenager.

Thanks for using the forum in this way. It's the sort of thing that I'd like to see happen more often. Feel free to credit me if you use me in any future interviews.
Posted by GrahamY, Saturday, 9 February 2008 10:31:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy