The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A FEW THOUGHTS ON AGEING...

A FEW THOUGHTS ON AGEING...

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
We have made it so much a young person's world, particularly the media. When do you see the old on the media? When do you see the old on television? It's all young, it's all slim.

I think that's very sad because, as I say, everyone will get old.
Maurice Chevalier said it beautifully: "Therer is only one alternative, and it's not a very nice one." If you live long enough, you reach old age; and every age has its value. We're all only
"temporarily young." Don't decry greay hairs and wrinkles. Realise that they are part of life.

Four "Golden Oldies" myths about old age:
1) Being old means rapid physical decline.
2) Old people are a financial drain on the community.
3) Old people all get shuffled off to old folks' homes by their families.
4) Looking after old people is a family burden.

Your thoughts please?
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 4 January 2008 9:58:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy while we do live in a young peoples world how old is old?
Those who think 50 or 60 is middle age are quite wrong.
How many of us think we will live past 70? so 35 looks closer to middle age at most for very few of us it is 40.
And while some think baby boomer's are a load on the young never believe it!
This baby bomber still feeds a few who have passed that middle age 35 and have not put away a cent toward those last years.
I feel younger than them and more in control , how many grand parents raise grand children? more than we want to admit.
And how many own every thing and will not be a burden on social services?
Just maybe we should remember once cheaper home prices are more than matched by the low incomes that bought those homes, less income for a week than some make in ten minutes today.
age just maybe is not the measure we need in drawing conclusions about differences from one generation to another.
It is however unlikely today youth will be any different than my generation in failing to remember the true length of our lives is not forever.
Regards
Posted by Belly, Friday, 4 January 2008 12:17:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

You are absolutely right! We need to get our facts straight. We need to recognise that old people aren't all dependent, that their health doesn't go into total decline, that they don't lose their marbles and that their cognitive faculties are sparking, in many people right up until they die.

But it would be an equal mistake if we rarefied or deified ol age.
Not all older people are wise, or cut out to be tribal elders.
If you're boring when you're young, you're probably going to be even more boring when you're old. But we can respect the fact that if someone has been alive for a long time, they really have endured and experienced a great many things. That should be respected.

As for the four myths about old age that I mentioned in my first post.
1) Being old means rapid physical decline. Wrong. The greatest decline occurs between the ages of 30 and 40. Thirtysomethings are going downhill fast; senior citizens are cruising along quite nicely.

2) Old people are a financial drain on the community. The 40 per cent of young families who actually receive financial help from relatives over 60 could explode this one. Thanks to Superannuation, greater awareness of financial planning and improved physical capacity to work longer, a high proportion of the elderly are actually financially independent.

3) Old people all get shuffled off to old folks' homes by their families. Another "hoary old chestnut." In fact, nine out of 10 people aged 60 years and over live in houses and flats, like the rest of the community. Most of them own their own homes, and even those with disabilities or handicaps usually live in the community with friends or relatives.

4) Looking after old people is a family burden. The shoulders carrying the family burden are actually likely to be wrinkly. As you pointed out Belly, and a study by the Australian Institute of Family Studies showed that old people are more likely to be giving care than receiving it.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 4 January 2008 2:49:59 PM
cont'd

Three out of four older people provide child-minding help for their adult children, as well as emotional support in times of crisis.

It is important to recognise and help many people who suffer poverty, loneliness and ill-health in their old age, but it is also vital to give Australia's growing population of energetic elderly citizens a voice.

People shouldn't be marginalized as they grow older. It's no use setting up consultative committees on ageing in which every body is under 40, and it's no use having policies on ageing if the views, perceptions and experience of older people aren't sought.

I believe for us as a society it's very important that we incorporate older people into our lives, just as it's important that the views of young people are sought. I don't think you should segregate people.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 4 January 2008 2:58:39 PM
Spoken like a true elder!

The beauty of age is that we must traverse years to get there. It can only be achieved through experience ... you cannot buy it, borrow it, rent it, you can only live it.

Having spent time with a 94 year old recently, time has taken a new perspective. What is a year, or even a decade, to someone who is 94? Equally, every single day is a blessing. So while length of time served becomes irrelevant, service remaining is of upmost interest.

One idea I've always wanted to pursue is to get primary students to visit nursing homes ... both groups could immensely benefit from the contact.

But Foxy, you're right in the statement "it's very important that we incorporate older people into our lives, just as it's important that the views of young people are sought." The greater inclusivity of all peoples the better we can proceed as a society.
Posted by Corri, Monday, 7 January 2008 8:54:15 AM
I am 67 my mother is 93 her sister is 94.
Dorris Lessing began her work at 67 and I am ready to do so too.
I feel I have at least 20 years to give as a volunteer aboard.
I was a teacher and feel my skills are wasted if I don't use them so this year I am doing something about it.
Last year I went to my grandchildren's primary school to teach reading and enjoyed it so much I am taking it further this year.

I am not old and don't belong to any senior group but remain active as a community spokesperson. My friends are younger or active people in their 60's.

It is the media that put down older people. There was an advert on TV over Christmas that made me mad. It was an old lady being treated like an idiot by her son. This should be stopped.
Mary
Posted by Sybil, Monday, 7 January 2008 9:42:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy