The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Violent Crime and Punishment

Violent Crime and Punishment

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
With the rapidly escalating rate of violent crimes within our society, maybe it is time to review our methods of punishment?

We read or hear every day now of young people (and older ones)resorting to barbaric attacks and /or retaliation against a perceived "enemy" who may simply be a passer-by who happened to look the wrong way at the wrong time and as a result received a king-hit followed by a severe kicking!

This type of behaviour is indicative of society (mainly youth) totally out of control with reality by inflicting this sort of punishment upon another human being.

There is never any excuse for a "hoon" to lay the boot into another, and as far as I am concerned this simple act should be treated by the Judiciary as "attempted murder"!

We are living in a violent society, the blame for which lies in a number of areas: Television, Movies,Computer Games etc,....One main contributing factor is the removal of Corporal Punishment from the immediate family area and the school environment.

Children who are raised in an environment free from any form of physical punishment will in most cases do whatever they want to do, and as we are now seeing a lot of them are resorting to cold and callous violence against any they view as an enemy,...be it Teacher, Policeman, fellow schoolmate and even their own parent(s).

A single partner family is in some cases contraindicative to a healthy and a happy upbringing for the involved children,...which is another issue that needs drastic attention, but then we could go on forever about the real causes of violence!

I would suggest that the Judiciary implement the use of the Rattan cane as a form of punishment, when and where necessary. Another deterrent would be confinement for a few weeks in a "Disciplinary Youth Centre" where the appropriate guidance and hard work would be meted out as considered necessary to "humanise" the offender!
Posted by Cuphandle, Saturday, 1 December 2007 8:51:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
nothing like beating the sh&t out of a kid , as a way to humanize him/her?

considering the general level of prejudice, ignorance, and simple foolishness that passes for oz culture, i suppose i shouldn't be surprised by this sample of all three in one.

all it teaches a kid is that the strong can beat the weak.
Posted by DEMOS, Saturday, 1 December 2007 9:14:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We are living in a day when we are reaping the fruits of following the Spock principles in discipline. Since kids stopped getting spanked for rebellion they have become more and more violent. Another mess created by our so called experts.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 1 December 2007 9:14:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
amen Runner.. absolutely.

But Cuphandle.. we need really a total renewal of society.. RE-PENTANCE... is the name of the medicine we need.

You can bark up every sociological and psychological tree in the forest, but none will give the fruit you are desiring.

Only a humble heart and a contrite spirit under the Almighty.. will give that.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 2 December 2007 8:17:45 AM
Cuphandle you are a mug.

Force begets force begets counterforce etc

The reason a youth commits a violent act is because they were not well enough punished as children? Sure.

More likely the opposite.

Try communication, or help, or old fashioned control or even respect.

A friend who uses Restorative Justice at school tells me that boys would rather cop punishment than have to face the consequences of their actions. Striking a child diminishes both parties.
Posted by palimpsest, Sunday, 2 December 2007 9:45:09 AM
Boazy:
You did remind me of an important fact that I had forgotten to mention ( not that I am in any way a religious crank or the like!)...the long lost family commitment to the Church!

I was brought up in a household that was a committed Methodist family. We attended Church three times every Sunday and participated during the week in ongoing assorted Church activities, youth clubs, social clubs etc......I was educated in the fact that should I do something WRONG then I would be punished in one way or another. I was taught that in wrong-doing for a minor infraction a harsh admonition from parent may be warranted. For more considered serious offences a good smacking may be involved, and woe betide any who committed a really serious offence against our society.....the Policeman could be involved! Whilst all this is being considered we were constantly reminded that the Lord would be watching our actions and would punish us for our transgressions as he saw fit! Thus the fear of the Lord ruled over our every day actions and performance as Christian human beings!.....This is one of the reasons that people commit serious offences against fellow human beings, because of the lack of FEAR of atonement from above!
Posted by Cuphandle, Sunday, 2 December 2007 9:54:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy