The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should the Prime Minister (be it Howard or Rudd), make a formal apology to the Aboriginal people?

Should the Prime Minister (be it Howard or Rudd), make a formal apology to the Aboriginal people?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
To appologise or not to appologise that is the question.
who should appologise to whom ? well, the australian like many other aboriginal people have copped a whack alright, there's no dispute about it. The islanders ? well, not really. Theirs' is a totally different scenario. The ones who are claiming victimisation now are in fact the descendants of the perpetrators whereas the aborigine's forebears have been well & truly displaced. Now, who displaced the aborigines' forebears ? It was the forebears of the many who have either come to this country involuntary or voluntary in later years. So, in actual fact we somehow have to give a posthumous appology & just as somehow get it accepted posthumously. On what grounds could any descendants to either offer or accept an appology. I hear daily about the lack of this'n that in aboriginal communities. These claims always relate to commodities which are produced through effort by using land formerly occupied by aborigines. I believe that all the services extended to the indigenous of Australia more than equal what has been taken from them. Occupying another land is invasion when it's just taken. However, when the inhabitant of that land does not realise the land's potential & eagerly accepts the goods that come from that land by the effort of the new inhabitant then I fail to see any moral obligation to appologise. Have the aborigines themselves appologised to the tribes they used to raid & never gave anything for it?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 23 October 2007 9:01:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let us stop the garden fertilizer about invasion, in truth if the Aboriginal community thinks that we may as well forget progress.
Every country in the world has been invaded.
Lets stop the blind and miss directed cash hand outs.
Lets stop allowing kids to not go to school or not learn while they are there.
Lets stop the house destroying culture, the sexual assaults of children.
Lets ask who will say sorry to those within these community's who are victims of the community?
And can we understand the education of some in this community is so bad they do not understand their actions are wrong?
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 6:23:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HOW ABOUT MR HOWARD AND MR RUDD BOTH APOLOGY TO THE ABORIGINALS,AND SPECIALLY THAT OF THE FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIANS,WHO WERE RAPED AND ABUSED IN THE STATES RUN INSTITUTIONS,ORPHANAGES,GIRLS HOMES,BOYS HOMES,REMAND CENTRES,FOSTER HOMES OUT OF HOME CARE,CHURCH HOMES,THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERMENT HAVE BEEN AND STILL ARE COVERING UP THE RAPES AND ABUSE THAT OCCURRED UPON US FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIANS AND WE ARE ALL OF DIFFRENT RACE WETHER BLACK,WHITE,IRISH,EVERY NATIONALITY, WE ARE THE REAL VICTIMS,THAT SUFFERED AT THE HANDS OF PEDOPHILES THAT WORKED FOR THE GOVERMENT OF AUSTRALIA, THE GOVERMENT ARE SWEEPING US ALL UNDER THE CARPET,AS THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING AS TO GIVING US VICTIMS JUSTICE,THE SENATE INQUIRIES THAT WERE DONE IN AUGUST 2004 AND MARCH 2005,WHY IS IT THAT THE GOVERMENT WILL NOT ACKNOWLEDGE US VICTIMS,THESE ABUSES THAT I TALK ABOUT WERE OCCURRING WHILE LIBERAL HAD POWER AS PRIME MINISTER AND ALSO LABOUR WHEN THEY WERE PRIME MINISTER SO IT IS BOTH SIDES THAT OWE THE REAL APOLOGY TO ALL US VICTIMS AND THAT OF THE ABORIGINALS,THOUGH I MAINLY SPEAK OF MY SUFFERING AS A CHILD THAT WAS RAPED AND ABUSED WHILST IN A INSTITUTION DARUK BOYS HOME,AND I AM NOT ALONE AS TO WHAT WAS SUFFERED AT THE HANDS OF THESE SICK PEDOPHILES,AS IT IS,THERE ARE PEDOPHILES IN EVERY KIND OF JOB AND COMUNITY BUT WE WILL NEVER KNOW WHO THEY ALL ARE OR WHO SOME ARE,YET THEY ARE STILL OUT THERE PREYING ON OUR CHILDREN, DOCS HAS A RESPONSABILTY AS DID THE MINISTERS, OF THE STATES,A JUDGE SAID MY COMPLAINT IS PLAINLY REAL AND TRAGIC PART OF OUR HISTORY ,THEN DISSMISSES THE CASE THROUGH LOOP HOLES THE GOVERMENT HAS,BELEAVE ME I WILL NEVER STOP MY FIGHT FOR JUSTICE,THE GOVERMENT NEEDS TO HOLD THEIR HEAD IN SHAME FOR WHAT WE VICTIMS SUFFERED,THEIR ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO DO NOT KNOW OR CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT WE VICTIMS SUFFERED,AND ITS ABOUT TIME FOR BOTH GOVERMENTS TO STAND UP FOR THE FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIANS WE ARE REAL VICTIMS,MAYBE ALL PEOPLE WHO READ THESE STORIES THAT PEOPLE LIKE ME.ASK THE GOVERMENT FOR COPIES OF THE FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIANS REPORT AUGUST 2004 AND MACH 2005,THEY ARE FREE
Posted by huffnpuff, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 8:30:32 PM
Should Julius Ceaser have apologised to the people he conquered, should Napoleon Bonaparte or William the conqueror, or Ghenghis Khan or the prophet Mohammed? In a just and fair world of course they should. But they wouldnt have, they probably would have scoffed at the suggestion.
It's not a just and fair world, the men with the biggest guns and muscle still control things; always have and always will. Observe the armed rebels in some of the poorer countries, how they control the area and take what they want because they have the weapons which gives them more muscle than the village men without the weapons.
Posted by sharkfin, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 9:20:39 PM
huffnpuff you do not have to shout posting in caps does not add to your debating point.
I no longer read such posts.
It is a blind trail to talk about invasion, in truth if that is a starting point , if my right as a white Australia is questioned we are a nation close to war.
Fortunately only the cash and carry few think like that.
And far too many who say all men should be treated the same except me I want more.
Some who are the problem not the answer in Aboriginal community's include child rapists.
accountability and education may revel both sides should be shamed at some actions.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 10:48:09 PM
Huffnpuff,
I hear you re your lack of justice. I don't for a moment wish to sound lighthearted about it but you are one of many millions of people who copped crap & that is inexcusable. There is no doubt that such experiences leave anyone bitter for the rest of their life. Don't give up on your personal fight but for crying out loud don't expect me to accept blame for what some crap people did to you. I certainly wouldn't like a Prime Minister appologising on my behalf for something I would never agree with & had no part in. I have lived & worked in indigenous communities for nearly 30 years & I have NEVER DONE ANYTHING I should appologise for.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 11:38:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy