The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Protectionist policies

Protectionist policies

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
I would look at agriculture, steel and car manufacturing.
Posted by freediver, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 11:08:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*ouch*.... ok.. I'll rest first.. (Pericles rebuke)....

I'm back...

Demos.. glad you see value in protection, but I have to kindly disagree with your second point...of "protecting all".

Not sure what you mean there, but I have no sympathy for businesses which are inefficient being protected.. where entrenched privilege and luxury are the reasons people want protection...no no no....

I believe protection might even be the wrong word.. lets use PUNISHMENT.. and very selectively applied.

Yabby waxes eloquent about 'cheap consumer goods'...but neglects they are produced by SLAVES. This is THE issue.

It doesn't matter how well off we seem, if it is based on slavery then its evil. Sure.. things are cheap.. and so are the backs of those making it so for us. *Boaz sends yappy a picture of a whip* (no..I didn't mis-spell it :)

I don't expect hard working people paid a fair days pay to be punished just because they live in another country. But if that country has a one party state, and deliberately denies justice and fairness and good health to its workers.. then they are slaves and such a regime must be PUNISHED... by denying them access to our own markets for their slave produced widgets.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 29 October 2007 8:13:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Funnily enough, I'm both for and against agricultural protectionism, and it's not at all contradictory. Here's why:

Essentially, I'd like to see protectionist policies dropped, because I'm of the opinion that Australian farmers are already among the most efficient in the world.

That being said, I'd not be in favour of Australia dropping their single desk status, and I'd be quite keen to see us adopt protectionist policies, for the simple reason, that our competitors do so.

We're operating in an unfair market - not only do our farmers have to contend with drought, but US industries such as sugar and wheat receive massive subsidies from their government and have to be far less efficient.

Put simply, it's unfair, and I'd love to see us adopt protectionist policies to even up the ball game - not to the extent the US have of course, we'd still want to keep our industry lean and mean so to speak, and no matter what, the US would always out do us - but there'd be scope for some increase.

I see people, largely from metropolitan centres, complain when drought assistance is offered - that annoys me, largely because agriculture brings in a great deal for our economy and isn't subsidised, and we're battling a drought here. Were it not for our subsidised opponents, life would be much easier.

So, globally speaking, I'd like to see protectionist policies dropped, it isn't happening yet, and until our competitors show a willingness to play by these rules, I don't see why we should.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 29 October 2007 8:22:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello once again,
i'm finding it very difficult to prove that tariffs have had the biggest impact on domestic and the global economy. if in fact they have had. has someone got a good reference/journal article or website that proves how tariffs have had the biggest impact?? or even something comparing different protectionist policies?? if so can you please let me know! i have been trying to compare the effects tariffs have had in comparison to other protectionist policies but have found it difficult...
thanks,
denzil
Posted by Denzil, Tuesday, 6 November 2007 7:43:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy