The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Does Sea Level Obey the UN Rules ?

Does Sea Level Obey the UN Rules ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
"The fact that temperatures temporarily declined mid-century (due to factors like aerosols) doesn’t contradict the overall warming trend or the continued rise in sea levels. The mid-20th century cooling is well-documented, "

As usual you missed the point.
Your original assertion (they're always assertions) was that the sea levels rises accelerated after 1950 ("No, the acceleration of sea level rise starting in the 20th century, particularly after 1950") ( I add your actual words because you have a habit of denying what you wrote only a few days ago) but that was a time of cooling which continued until the mid 1970s. Quick go and read about - then you can pretend you knew it all along.

So if sea level rise accelerated at the very time temperatures were declining, that might suggest to the more logical among us that the two aren't directly linked
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 2 September 2024 3:24:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze,

No, I understood the point. I like the “as usual,” though - as if not understanding were a habit of mine.

Nice touch!

The continued to rise in sea levels during the brief period of cooling doesn’t mean there's no connection between temperature and sea level rises; it simply means that there are many factors at play.

Even with a temporary surface cooling, the deeper parts of the oceans continued to warm because of the cumulative effect of warming during the decades prior. The oceans have a massive capacity to warm and store heat (think back to year 7 science). So, this continued warming, combined with the continued melting of ice, contributed to the ongoing rise in sea levels during that period.

You still following? Let me know if you need me to slow down.

The aerosols' cooling effect was temporary and mainly affected surface temperatures, not the underlying warming trend driven by greenhouse gases. Once the aerosol emissions decreased, the full impact of CO2-driven warming became more apparent, and the rate of rise in sea levels accelerated further.

So, to those of us who actually understand the data and feel no need to sort through it and cherry-pick, it’s as plain as the noses on our faces why the mid-century cooling isn't a problem for the link between temperature and sea level rise. All it shows is that the climate system is complex, with multiple interacting factors. But the broader trend (i.e. rising temperatures and rising seas) remains clear.

There is no contradiction. All this shows is how intricate (albeit robust) the connections between temperature and sea level rise really are.

What was that you were saying about assertions? Science isn't your forte, is it?
Posted by John Daysh, Monday, 2 September 2024 5:05:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Scientists aren’t just running around like headless chooks sounding alarms ...
John Daysh,
Scientists do atomic blasts on land, sea & air. Scientists fly rockets into Space burning holes in the ozone layer, scientists introduce vermin to combat vermin but fail every time, scientists cause deaths & suffering to humans & animals, scientists invent equipment that leaves toxic waste, scientists build weapons for people to kill & maim each other, scientists do a lot more bad things than good. Most scientists get scientist salaries but never come up with any goods. Yes, a handful of scientists are switched on enough to forsee that not everything that can be done should be done. Much good has come from science but a lot more bad has also come from scientists engaged in science !
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 2 September 2024 8:47:28 PM
Do YOU obey the UN rules ?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 14 September 2024 10:58:29 AM
Have sea levels changed much in the 18 days since this thread was started? Boring.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 14 September 2024 11:02:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy