The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Neil Brown in defence of Peter Costello

Neil Brown in defence of Peter Costello

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I have just read an article by ex-politician Neil Brown. He is a conservative, with a wry sense of humour, whose articles I always enjoy.

Not this one, however.

He takes it upon himself to defend the ex-Liberal Treasurer (one of the best) Peter Costello following the TV footage of Mr. Costello with his jaw set, obviously dropping his right shoulder, followed by someone off screen calling out, “You assaulted me”.

To be clear, only an eyewitness would know if there was physical contact between Mr. Costello and the other party, or whether that party, as claimed by Mr. Costello, tripped backwards over a sign. I have my opinion.

What I found unpleasant was the footage of Mr. Costello, some way past the man on the ground, looking back at him (down his nose) then walking on.

No, “You OK, mate. Let me give you a hand”. Nothing.

I also find Neil Brown’s defence of a fellow ex-politician unpleasant.

He talks about Costello’s “monumental contribution to Australia”. Nothing to do with the incident, and it was a case of a politician doing what he was paid to do.

The victim of the ‘accident ‘ or whatever - we will never know, Brown describes as a “so-called journalist” and the “whingeing scribe”. Not as a man who could have sustained serious injuries - landing flat on your back on a hard floor is dangerous, no matter how you get there - just for doing his job.

Brown goes on to make assumptions that he has no more right to make than anyone else who was not at the scene and watching intently; then he boo hoos about Costello resigning or being forced to resign from Channel 9.

Brown also accuses the “hierarchy of the Liberal party” of dumping Costello.

How long before you get out of politics should you be treated like everyone else?

The article is paywalled
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 22 June 2024 2:06:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is unfortunate that Peter Costello did not
receive the support that should have been his
as the Chairman of Chanel 9. His resignation
could have been avoided had he received the support
that Laura Tingle did at the ABC.

I guess though that rightly or wrongly the Chanel
had its own problems to deal with at the time, and
they took the easy way out by trying to avoid even
more controversy.

For Peter Costello this will pass and he I'm sure
will be just fine. He's a survivor. And will move on.

I had the pleasure of knowing Neil Brown in
the 1980s when he became the Federal Member of my
electorate - Menzies. And through his involvement
and work in the community.

I admired the man greatly. And now, his jumping to the
defence of a political colleague when no one else did
speaks volumes about his character.

http://spectator.com.au/2024/06/brown-study-293/
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 23 June 2024 11:18:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Costello has been at the centre of unpleasant allegations about channel 9 for some time, an organisation of which he was, until the other day, "Chairman Of The Board'. The allegations concerned an entrenched culture of predatory behaviour towards women, misogynistic attitudes, and controlism, all totally unacceptable in this day and age. Costello must have "learned" a lot from his Liberal Party mates. On your bike Pete!
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 24 June 2024 6:32:35 AM
Costello was always an arrogant sort of man, who didn't have what it takes to replace John Howard when that gentleman lost the plot, then the election, that Costello could have saved with his undoubted ability.

That's the problem with politicians, no matter how smart they are, it's all about them.

Unless a charge of assault is brought against Costello, we will hear no more about the incident.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 24 June 2024 9:42:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy