The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > King's Birthday - Long Weekend - Public Holiday - Australia.

King's Birthday - Long Weekend - Public Holiday - Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Its a day off work. that's all that matters to the vast majority and woebetide any government, union or employer group that dared get in the way of a sanctioned day off work. What's being celebrated is entirely beside the point.

The day is set for no better reason than its in the middle of the British summer which means that the trooping of the colours is more likely to be held in sunshine than drizzle.

There are a gazillion things we could swap for the King's Birthday and few are likely to agree on any particular one. The only thing that can be agreed upon is that the day off work has to be preserved.
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 10 June 2024 11:52:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I miss cracker night.
Posted by mikk, Monday, 10 June 2024 11:57:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I also feel that most Australians appreciate the day
off from work. Although I was surprised to learn
this morning how many stores, like Woolworths, Coles,
and Bunnings, are open today. Even our pharmacy is
open up to certain hours with less staff - but still
open.

Times are changing to accommodate people.

I had forgotten about the Order of Australia honours.
737 Australians have received honours on the King's
Birthday celebration. Including comedian Hamish Blake,
cricketeer Glenn McGrath and ABC's Jimmy Rees.

Former Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews - one of
six people awarded the highest honour. The Companion
of the Order of Australia.

He was the State's longest serving Labor Premier.
2014 to 2023 and served during some crucial times
including the 2019/20 bushfires and the COVID-19
pandemic.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 10 June 2024 12:07:20 PM
Does anyone remember Bonfire Night or Cracker Night
which used to be celebrated on 5th November in the 1980s?

It used to be so much fun for kids.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 10 June 2024 12:33:57 PM
This may be of interest:

http://army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2024/06/trooping-the-colour-for-the-kings-birthday-parade-15-june-2024/#
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 10 June 2024 12:44:48 PM
Dear foxy,

«Now back to the topic:»

My previous post was very much on topic:

«I am not forcing anything on any one.»

But acquiescing and saying nothing could be seen as an implicit agreement with your preliminary assumptions, based on which you present your view regarding the King's Birthday public holiday, such as that there exists (according to you) an "Australian nation".

«This is a
discussion on the King's Birthday which is
being celebrated in this country today as a
public holiday.»

Thus I presented my clear view in opposition, explaining why in my view neither that particular public holiday nor any other public holidays, should exist.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 10 June 2024 1:29:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy