The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Another storm another blackout. Renewables rides again.

Another storm another blackout. Renewables rides again.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Shadow Minister,

I appreciate your seeing my tone as sanctimonious.
That I appreciate. You could have said it was
erronious, or felonious and lets not mention
acrimonious or parsimonious.

I like sanctimonious.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 19 February 2024 12:56:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Victorians thus got a taste of life without Loy Yang A, and they did not like it." What about Loy yang B wasn't that one shut down for maintenance.
A lot of people here are against any thing that that isn't against climate change.
Power supply is progressing magnificently against the will of ex poms and dual citizens.
Posted by Riely, Wednesday, 21 February 2024 1:42:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Riely,

I will explain the main problem of wind and solar which is very well understood by its critics. It is intermittency, which means that you need a grid capable of carrying several times as much power as a grid powered by dispatchable energy sources. This is the case because intermittent sources may be producing power for just a few hours a day, yet they must provide enough energy for 24/7 power.

A grid large enough to carry this extra power is far more expensive: It would be good to see an estimate from the government or AEMO, but they are very opaque about such things. I have heard cost estimates suggesting that the cost of a grid to carry wind and solar alone would be several times the cost of powering Australia with nuclear. So my objection to wind and solar is not political as you suggest, but simple economics. Conversely, given the anti-nuclear sentiment of Labor and the Greens, I would suggest that support for wind and solar is purely political. It is an economic disaster unfolding.
Posted by Fester, Friday, 23 February 2024 10:03:35 AM
Foxy,

First I used the word supercilious not sanctimonious, but I am glad to help you improve your vocabulary. Perhaps I should use current lingo and call you Mrs Bleeding Obvious.

Firstly the lines were installed for the 3 power stations incl Hazelwood in the 70s so have stood for 5 decades against all the storms. But no design is invulnerable or everlasting. You are suggesting replacing the lines for many $bns which does not protect the network which needs to be able to loose a generator without collapsing.
Posted by shadowminister, Saturday, 24 February 2024 8:59:10 AM
The real cause of the Victorian power problem is that they shut down
all the coal generators before they had installed their replacement equipment.
If Hazlewood had still been operating the blackout would probably
been smaller and shorter.

You just have to wonder about their sanity !
Posted by Bezza, Thursday, 29 February 2024 10:20:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy