The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Blackouts or Reliability Gaps: Take Your Pick

Blackouts or Reliability Gaps: Take Your Pick

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
AEMO is warning of "reliability gaps” in our electricity supply. They mean 'blackouts", of course, but they think that we are stupid enough to think a reliability gap is better than a blackout. Some of us are that stupid, unfortunately.

In the dark by 2027. South Australia and Victoria are already crying for 'tenders' to provide "reliability reserves". With what?

Well, not wicked coal or gas; not more useless renewables that are the problem in the first place.

No. Voluntary shutdowns and "small" diesel generators.

Apart from the reliability gaps, loss of productivity and so on, everything will be just fine.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 3 September 2023 9:35:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A future event may be diesel electric locomotives collared in goods yards for the more urgent task of power generation.

Good for the road transport industry.
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 4 September 2023 9:42:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dan

And certainly no more bizarre than the stuff Blackout Bowen keeps coming up with. At least we know that diesel is reliable. Very handy, too, on King Island, which is claimed to 100% renewables - unless the wind and sun isn't available.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 4 September 2023 10:06:08 AM
Well said AEMO

On 31 August this year AEMO Chief Executive Officer Daniel Westerman said "there is also the opportunity for consumers’ rooftop solar, batteries and electric vehicles to actively participate in the power system, which would further reduce reliability risks."

More than 2.7 million homes ... already have solar systems installed, supplying about 29% of the residential sector’s overall underlying consumption in 2022-23. By 2032-33, this is expected to increase to 4.8 million homes, meeting approximately half of the residential sector’s underlying consumption requirements.

“These forecasts highlight the high value of solutions in which resources owned by consumers, such as residential electricity generation and storage devices, and increased demand flexibility, can help meet power system needs,” AEMO said.

AEMO is actively seeking ways to meet future energy needs in a positive and creative way.

Contrast this with the "chicken littles" who post here barely reading past headlines before commenting.
Posted by WTF? - Not Again, Monday, 4 September 2023 12:31:14 PM
WTF

I read all that was available in the item I consulted. We are not all obsessive-compulsives who need to read everything available - no matter how genuine it might or might not be. You are a stooge just repeating everything, right or wrong, that your idols want sad loners like you to repeat. Anonymous 'experts' with all the answers are generally losers who haven't made it in the real world.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 4 September 2023 1:29:10 PM
WTF?

ttbn - it is you who started talking about AEMO and I am referencing them.

The reason I reference them is because I want anyone reading to realise that it is AEMO who is saying these things.

I quote them because while you can dispute my opinion you cannot dispute the facts presented by the very organisation you quote.

It is not an uncommon occurrence for someone commenting (or even writing an article) to reference a study or paper thinking that it supports their point of view only to find out the opposite is true.
Posted by WTF? - Not Again, Monday, 4 September 2023 2:05:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy