The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How high will seas rise? > Comments

How high will seas rise? : Comments

By Orrin Pilkey and Rob Young, published 20/1/2010

Governments, businesses, and homeowners should assume that the world’s oceans will rise by at least two metres.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Atman,

Anytime you are able to demonstrate that Fourier's experiments did not indicate what I said about certain gas mixtures, you just let me know. I never said that Fourier himself said sea levels will rise, but he did establish a very sound scientific fact.

Once you grasp that, we can extend to the next step and deal consecutively with your misunderstandings.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Thursday, 21 January 2010 7:12:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You can always depend on these warmists to put a false interpretation on things, if they either, have no idea, [likely] or think they can get away with it.

The reason for salt intrusion in islands, & in coastal areas of Oz, like Bundaburg in Queensland, is that too much ground water has been pumped out. There is only ever a layer of fresh, floating on the salt in all these places.

However the best tall tale, & untrue in this article, is that this is given as the reason for growing some crops in 44 gallon drums. [55 in their tale]

A mate of mine is king of Nugeria atoll, [it's a long story, & I've mentioned him before]. Nugeria in an atoll of 56 islands, about 130 nautical miles north of Bouganville, with a population of about 350 people of mostly polynesian descent.

Graham also owns a coco plantation on Annia Is, a high, [volcanic] island about 70 miles west.

As with all coral atolls the soil is basically calcium, from decayed coral. The only things of use that will grow, [due to the PH of this soil] are coconuts, & swamp taro. Graham has been carting volcanic soil to the atoll for years, so they can grow other produce. It is used in drums, or recently in large poly bags.

Even when a real effort is made to avoid it, the atoll water, & soil soon stuff this imported soil PH, & render it no better than the coral stuff. They can usually get 3 crops of bananas before this happens.

I'll bet our article authors could blame this on rising sea level, if they were given a chance. I wonder how many of our local warmists will be repeating this particular fairy tale?
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 21 January 2010 8:17:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
KenH.

Antarctic ice covers land in the east and its coastline is exposed to relatively warm seawater which is largely responsible for melting the ice far quicker than it is being replaced by new snow/ice formation. The result: Ice loss is presently 55-60 gigatonnes/annum and increasing.

In West Antarctica (separated from the east by the Transantarctic mountains) the ice sheet largely rests on the seabed and on islands, the largest known as the Antarctic Peninsula. In summer, air temperatures over the latter are well above zero and result in rapid melting of glaciers and snow cover. The result: net ice loss is over 130 gigatonnes/annum and getting faster each year.

The real danger is that warm currents from equatorial parts of the Pacific will melt the underside of the vast ice sheet resting on the seabed. Were this to happen, the ice sheet would disintegrate and begin to float, displacing its weight in water. That would cause a relatively sudden rise in global sea level. Fortunately, the Ross and Ronner ice shelves continue to provide a formidable barrier to sudden disintegrationbut if they start melting - watch out!

The rate and magnitude of ice being lost in Antarctica has been confirmed by the GRACE satellites. Temperatures at the centre of the massive east Antarctic ice sheet may be -49 in winter but this does not prevent rapid melting at the fringes or summer melting in the west.
Posted by Agnostic of Mittagong, Friday, 22 January 2010 12:21:34 PM
examinator, mikke: Some of these guys are hopeless. I for one have absolutely no idea whether global warming will occur or not.

I see all the detractors appear not to have a basic understanding of much more than the big money businesses propaganda.

Nothing talks louder than money. Giant cotton corporations, greedy lazy farmers (I was a farmer so don't say what do I know) all are more interested in the mighty profit. That is there god, as long as they have the dollars rolling in who cares about the grandchildren.

My first father in law was like that, how many times have you heard these sort of cretins saying. "I had to do it the hard way, why shouldn't they", "We have got through hard times and problems before, they can again".

Well for this reason amongst others I have given away my health career, I mean, people have got sick before, they got over it, when I was a kid there was no polio vaccine, lets let medicine go back a hundred years or so, why not, all us scientists are half baked morons, looking for nothing except ways to deceive people to rip money of them.

We are definitely not the benevolent despots that the big coal and oil companies are, thats why we charge more if you have a car accident over christmas, you know, when your at the beach. Scientists are working 24 hours a day to put these cretins back together.

All scientists should give up their careers, well they talk garbage, make up answers, rip people off.

We should open up mines and power stations. Then we will have their respect, no longer greedy money hungry lying criminals but good respectable business magnates.

I know where I can get a contract to dump a few million litres of toxic waste, I think Lane Cove National Park would be close. Don't want to waste money an fuel, it is most probably just lies about sulphuric acid being dangerous any way, it must be, I read it in a science text.
Posted by Wybong, Friday, 22 January 2010 5:22:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agnostic,
This contradicts you : http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/10/08/antarcticas-ice-story-has-been-put-on-ice/

As does this: http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/global-warming091307m.htm

But thank you for your response, I'll do some more reading.
Posted by KenH, Friday, 22 January 2010 5:34:05 PM
KenH,

Link to all the sites you want.

I worked for several years in a lab sending staff and students to Antarctica annually. I have absolutely no doubt about the integrity of those staff and their other colleagues way-down-under.

There is less ice, more is falling into the sea than is being deposited. Snowfall is low density and anticipated if warming is evaporating more equatorial water. The solid ice breaking off is old and dense.

The problem you half-describe is that sub-zero ice absorbs a lot of heat without melting, but will require a long time to cool back down. The further energy absorbed by phase-changes is enormous. Note that in a heated system with melting ice the liquid temperature does not rise much until the ice is depleted.

The melting of Arctic ocean ice is similarly serious business and not ignored by countries attempting to secure rights there.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Saturday, 23 January 2010 12:34:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy