The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Higher education’s creative tension > Comments

Higher education’s creative tension : Comments

By Steven Schwartz, published 15/12/2009

The answer to meeting challenges is not to fetishise change nor to romanticise the past, neither should we ignore it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Well, I always thought that the comment "Poor, nasty, brutish and short" was Julius Caesar describing the Celts. There also is a school of thought who believe that Blake's "Dark Satanic mills" were in fact Oxford & Cambridge Universities. This new curriculum certainly sounds just the ticket and possibly the time is right as it certainly was not in the past. As an undergraduate in the 'fifties all my colleagues and I wanted was to get a ticket in the shortest possible time – not to actually learn anything! Teaching medical students, in the 'seventies and 'eighties, was heavy travelling as they only wanted to learn how to be a brain surgeon or whatever – their interest in wider concepts and clear thinking was minimal. The difference today, as I view my grandchildren's progress through life, is that they choose courses that they want to do with no thought of monetary reward status, or whatever – TV and film producting, sports administration and the like. They have always had money and, unlike my generation, do not seem aware that it does not "grow on trees". It is quite possible that, with all its faults, the current young people might be very responsive to such thinking by curriculum designers. Good Luck !!
Posted by Gorufus, Wednesday, 16 December 2009 6:48:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
where's the beef?
Posted by bushbasher, Wednesday, 16 December 2009 8:59:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy