The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Peter Costello's to blame for the leadership crisis tearing the party apart > Comments

Peter Costello's to blame for the leadership crisis tearing the party apart : Comments

By Scott Prasser, published 3/12/2009

The former treasurer must shoulder responsibility for the Liberals' implosion.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Costello is to blame?? I don’t think so!

I’ve thought very poorly of Costello all along. I’d love to be able to blame him for the Libs’ debacle.

But the opposite is true. His resignation and self-removal was the best thing that he ever did (:>|…….and a damn good thing for the party as well.

He was most definitely NOT the right person to lead the Libs! I can’t see that they would have settled down at all or been more likely to win the next election with Costalotello at the helm.
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 3 December 2009 9:50:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of all the ridiculous things to blame a politician for that beats it. Costello wasn't hungry enough for power and wished to leave. Good for him! Too many politicians stay in safe seats long after they have passed their useby dates. The problem is the Coalition itself. Dinosaurs like Wilson Tuckey and Minchin who deny climate change and the Nationals whose interests the Libs don't serve. Bob Katter was a National who faced that reality and switched to being an independent. There is need for an intelligent opposition, and the Coalition should be replaced by it.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 3 December 2009 10:00:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a silly article.

Perhaps Costello wanted a change of scenery.

Perhaps Costello was tired of federal politics.

Perhaps Costello simply didn't want the leadership anymore. But the undertone of this article suggests that he should put aside all personal desires, family commitments and hopes and aspirations in order to lead a political party he doesn't want to lead.

Maybe we should blame Howard for placing all his eggs in the one basket?
Posted by Otokonoko, Thursday, 3 December 2009 12:21:36 PM
It is crystal clear, even from an article stating a contrary view, that the blame lies firmly with John Howard.

He should have stepped aside much, much earlier, to give his successor ample time to settle into the job. He failed to do this, lost the election, lost his own seat, and then proceeded to hold up the poison chalice, saying "Ok Peter, now you can have it".

I have no particular liking for Costello, and I think he too would probably have led the party to defeat.

But to blame him for the current debâcle is simply not plausible.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 3 December 2009 12:48:40 PM
Pericles
Absolument!

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 3 December 2009 1:56:58 PM
If they were that dependent of the politics of personality then they deserved to be in that situation.

What's wrong with just having viable policies and promoting them?

Costello wasn't the Messiah - he was just a naughty boy.
Posted by rache, Thursday, 3 December 2009 2:07:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy