The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Schoolies and the consequences of excess behaviour > Comments

Schoolies and the consequences of excess behaviour : Comments

By Andrew Moloney, published 23/11/2009

Schoolies revellers should heed a warning that excess partying could seriously affect their future job and travel plans.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
What you have said Andrew is very relevant to all Schoolies and their parents. Our three children survived schoolies a few years ago but every year at this time I empathise with parents who have their young ones at the Coast "for the time of their lives". I would love to see a video prepared with your information as a Lawyer representing young people to emphasise that actions taken as an 18year old can have such life long and unintended consequences. Snoopy, Rochedale South Qld
Posted by snoopy, Monday, 23 November 2009 10:06:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh, for God's sake, let the kiddies have fun and make idiots of themselves for once in their lives; we've all done it in our time, and (nearly) all of us have gone on to be productive citizens.

The last thing I would have wanted at their age was a nagging nanny standing over my shoulder.
Posted by Clownfish, Monday, 23 November 2009 10:48:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Oh, for God's sake, let the kiddies have fun ' Clownfish writes

No doubt the/she probably thinks 16 year olds should be able to vote. I wonder if the abortion industry sponsors these events.
Posted by runner, Monday, 23 November 2009 11:11:24 AM
runner, I believe "flummoxed" is the word I would use for my status update right now ...
Posted by Clownfish, Monday, 23 November 2009 11:27:24 AM
Timely warning for High School graduates and parents.

Too long children have been schooled about 'rights' with too little emphasis on responsibilities and mostly few consequences when boundaries are breached. Good caring parents get confused and even feel guilty about setting and enforcing codes of conduct and when successful may find attitudes at school offset their efforts. Spawn of deadbeat parents have barely a chance as the State schools lack teeth to control loutish behaviour. Rare to see these kids in the Private system as fees would deplete the booze/ciggie/drug budget.

Some feral behaviour and contempt for authority no doubt has roots in the last couple decades standards of child rearing and public education.

Suggest while teaching todays youth about their RIGHTS that a few NON-RIGHTS are drummed into the darlings.

For starters:
You have NO RIGHT to break the Law. Laws are intended for common good to create a safe and equitable environment for all of society as far as possible and to protect your RIGHTS. You may disagree with some rules and others may limit rights and activities within age groups. However you are bound by these laws and must obey them.
If caught engaging in illegal conduct there will be unpleasant consequences, some may be far reaching.

It's your RIGHT to learn about body functions, human reproduction, relationships and sexuality, consequences and contraceptives ect. You have NO RIGHT to consent to or engage in sexual intercourse until you are aged 16 years. You have no RIGHT to reproduce until then. No-one has any RIGHT to engage you in sexual intercourse.

Ensure juveniles get punishment that delivers a nice fright - first time in front of a magistrate. Put a stop to dogma that suggests disciplining kids for bad behaviour will scar their little psyches. Give schools back their authority. Target bad parents.

If this could happen, watch the improvements in nearly every area of youthful endeavour including Schoolies .....
Posted by divine_msn, Monday, 23 November 2009 12:08:45 PM
Thank you Andrew. I have printed your post and will give it to my year 11 grandson: hopefully he will read it carefully.
Posted by Gorufus, Monday, 23 November 2009 2:12:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy