The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The politics of tolerance - Israel and Palestine > Comments

The politics of tolerance - Israel and Palestine : Comments

By Sikni Hamka, published 23/11/2009

Israel is planning to build a Jewish museum on top of a Palestinian cemetery. It will be called the Museum of Tolerance.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
No biggie, people in countries all over the world build over cemetaries all the time, normally they move the bodies first to some other place. Land being a premium in that area, it's not surprising really.

Did they do that? Did the move the bodies and relocate the cemetary?

Are you saying they just ignored the bodies and built over it?

Are you inciting hatred by using this, without mentioning all available data to stir up emotion against Israel, isn't that a crime in Australia?

The Palestinians could do themselves a favor and be seen as a little tolerant by not firing missiles into Israel every day, by not importing weapons on ships from Iran. You only mention that Israel is lacking on tolerance, by omitting any reference to Palestinian violence and lack of tolerance you make it seem like it is completely one sided - it's not and we know it is not.

The fact that each side in the conflict is equally intolerant doesn't fit your "Palestine is a victim" rant does it?

Your article is as intolerant as all the other attacks by both sides, dressed up to be reasonable, but is designed to incite hatred.

I don't have any feeling either way for either party in this, but dislike the way people like you continue to foster hatred and adversity.
Posted by odo, Monday, 23 November 2009 8:52:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sikni

I suggest Israel would be a lot more 'tolerant' if the Arabs stop blowing up innocent people through suicide bombing on a regular basis. I doubt whether you would be very tolerant if you had to live with family members being killed by indoctrinated youth on a regular basis.
Posted by runner, Monday, 23 November 2009 8:57:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From Wiki .. makes interesting reading and shows how skewed is this author ..

"In 2005, the Simon Wiesenthal Center's (SWC) Rabbi Marvin Hier announced plans to construct a "Museum of Tolerance and Human Dignity" in place of a four-story underground parking structure adjacent to Jerusalem's Independence Park. The park is on the grounds of Mamilla Cemetery." So there's been a carpark there for years .. read on ..

"The Mamilla cemetery contains the graves of many important Islamic saints and scholars, as well as several Mamluk tombs.[3][4] The SWC counters that the cemetery was long ago deconsecrated by Islamic leaders, and that secular Arab leaders prior to the creation of the State of Israel had planned various development projects there.[5] During Turkish rule, graves were moved from the cemetery to build a hotel. The hotel still stands, and is being renovated by Waldorf-Astoria."

Leaving out this information just reinforces my earlier point that this is being used for emotional incitement of hatred and violence.

You madam, are a liar by omission, and are despicable for not including some tolerance in an article dressed up to criticise intolerance by someone else.

You should be reported for inciting racial hatred. I'm surprised sch a hateful and deceitful piece of writing should appear in OLO.
Posted by odo, Monday, 23 November 2009 9:56:22 AM
The most interesting thing about this "article" is how it

illustrates what poor quality "journalism" can be produced by someone

with a media studies qualification from Sydney University.
Posted by Seneca, Monday, 23 November 2009 10:31:06 AM
Thank you for your comments

ODO: If you want to quote Wiki as a reputable source then you have to accept the following statement which also appears:

"One of the primary criticisms of the Museum of Tolerance is that its exhibits use excessive multimedia technology to appeal to and manipulate the emotions of children. The museum uses fast-paced skits, dioramas, films, and interactive computer-controlled exhibits in an effort to make an emotional impact on visitors. For most of the tour, actual historical artifacts are absent, and a select few are shown at the end. Some critics have suggested that this is hypocritical, likening the use of emotionally-charged media to the propaganda used by the Nazi Party during the Holocaust."

Do you still want to quote it?

Seneca: "poor quality Journalism"? if you want to criticise my journalistic skills please highlight the lack of imbalance / truth in the article. Please substantiate your claim with evidence. And Please do not use wiki - the last time I checked it's not a reputable source (ask ODO) .

ODO: No they did not relocate the bodies. And I am not inciting hatred
- of course, you are entitled to your own interpretation.

However please note: "This was a contentious issue for some Israelis, hence the three-year duration of the trial" - contentious for both.

Why do I have to be against Israel to criticise it? Or does this mean I am pro-Hamas? How absurd.

This can go on forever
Posted by Sikni Hamka, Monday, 23 November 2009 11:25:13 AM
Sikini ,
The Israeli "Museum of Tolerance" over an Islamic Cemetry is a joke if we take into account recent settler expansion .

The Museum of Acceptance is a much better plan for World Peace .

There are too many religious hard Righters in Israel trying to increase the size of their patch .

My guess is they dont want the Museum of "Tolerance" either .
Posted by kartiya jim, Monday, 23 November 2009 11:35:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy