The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > J Street broadens public debate on Israel > Comments

J Street broadens public debate on Israel : Comments

By Antony Loewenstein, published 13/11/2009

Clear-headed acceptance of historical wrongs is the only way to tackle the impasse in Israel.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
As a relatively ignorant observer over fifty years, it seems to me that a single state - a secular, democratic, perhaps federated entity - might be the only ultimate solution to this idiotic war of attrition. It might not happen for many more decades of futility, and it would need a major international peace-keeping force, but since both sides want not two entities but one (under their control and premised on the political, even physical, exclusion of the Other), then why not explore the possibility of a single state ? Neither side would be happy with it, but it would be preferable to another ninety years of pulling the baby apart.

Joe Lane
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 13 November 2009 10:21:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We can all only hope that Israel takes out Iran's nuclear facilities sooner rather than later,
so as to restore some stability to the region.
Posted by HermanYutic, Friday, 13 November 2009 11:52:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
J Street are wasting their efforts if they believe they can go into a peace conference with preconceived conditions (i.e. a two state solution)
A single secular,democratic state ruling for all and the means to reach that goal is what a conference should be about.
That may seem impossible but that is what existed before the zionist plan of an exclusive Jewish State and the wars of hate escalated.

Now we have Zionist Fundies praying for " Israel to take out Iran's nuclear facilities"

Yes, go ahead and do that and see where the Shi(r)t falls. It's probably what's needed to unite the Arab world
Posted by maracas1, Friday, 13 November 2009 1:19:44 PM
I am an American Jew living in Australia. We Jews have benefitted by living in countries where there is separation of religion and state, where one's religion or lack of it is no business of government and where government does not discriminate among its citizens on the basis of religion or ethnicity. I am a free person in both the United States and Australia because of that. In Israel there is not separation of religion and state, one's religion or lack of it is the business of government and government discriminates among its citizens on the basis of religion and ethnicity. I cannot support in Israel what I do not support in Australia and the United States. If Israel does not discriminate on the basis of religion and ethnicity it cannot remain a Jewish state. I cannot in good conscience support such a state where non-Jews are second class citizens as I cannot support a state where Jews are second class citizens. Israel cannot be both Jewish and democratic. I once thought it could but think so no longer and choose democracy.
Posted by david f, Friday, 13 November 2009 1:58:21 PM
Yes You are quite right David. Us Australians look back at the "white Australia" policy with a certain amount of shame, yet our government unreservedly backs Israel who's policies are even worse. They have the Jewish "right of return laws" which means only Jews can move to Israel. But worse than that they treat their existing citizens differently depending upon their religous affiliation. Land that can only be leased to Jews, exclusive Jewish communities, Jewish schools and jobs in government agencies that can only be taken by military veterans (Jews). This is not a system that we should be talking up as a "beacon of freedom and democracy" in the middle east.
Fortunately for the Palestinians, the Israeli's have been so greedy that there is no longer any real chance of a two state solution. It seems only a matter of time that the talk will change to a secular one state solution, based on justice and equality for all. This will be of great benefit to all people in Israel/Palestine.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Friday, 13 November 2009 4:36:04 PM
Good article.
Davidf,
You sound as if you wrote my Jewish daughter's speech when she returned from some years in Israel. She was incensed about the discriminatory practices she witnessed while there. Some of the tales she related at the time were frightening in their hypocrisy and meanness.

She still occasionally scoffs when she hears an Israeli (or Jew) who goes on about the Muslim ambitions to eliminate non believers etc. So much so she now shuns the idea of a 'Jewish' state and is loathed to admit to her 'mother's religion'. This from a person who was raised as a Jew and later a state (Aust) discrimination investigator, now a teacher.

Neither she or I want to simply blame either side but believe that it's time to look at the issue dispassionately and objectively.

I doubt that a one state (secular, for all) solution will work simply because there is too much at stake. There are entrenched extremist elements on both sides. Additionally two sets of people with claims on the same land/property. This combination of emotion and religion does not bode well for a stable state. Political parties will be based on religious grounds there is not enough collective good will to carry it off. It would simply tear its self apart.

To me the only fair solution is a two state solution set at pre 67 borders with an international, Palestinian,Israeli tripartite policed inhabited buffer zone. The buffer zone should be patrolled by the relevant party with international and opposite side observers. e.g. The Israeli side, Israeli police with at least one of each of the other two groups and vise versa. Complimentary laws would also apply in those zones.

Reparations paid by Israel/US, World Bank whoever.
What I suggest is that the money should only be spent on houses, businesses, infrastructure not on holidays, boob jobs etc
What do you think?
Posted by examinator, Friday, 13 November 2009 6:37:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy