The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Liberals get a gift opportunity and wreck it > Comments

Liberals get a gift opportunity and wreck it : Comments

By Joanne Nova, published 13/10/2009

Nearly 80 per cent of Liberal backbenchers are opposed to negotiating amendments to the ETS ahead of Copenhagen.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The dinosaurs probably thought they would make a big comeback and the world would thank them. Shame it didn't turn out. To their credit the Liberals have an intuitive grasp of a couple of key points for which the Left is in denial; namely that expensive energy will slow the economy and that nuclear power is the alternative to coal and gas. What they don't grasp are the abundant signs that the unfriendly climate will impose its own costs and that they will be made scapegoats. It would be prudent for them to steer a middle course since ageing coal fired power stations will need to be replaced and global crude oil production has peaked, perhaps to decline 4% a year for the next few years.

Thus if the Libs/NP are annihilated in a double dissolution election we could end up with more Ruddspeak and no real action on climate. Basically Rudd doesn't deserve an easy passage so he gets to do more of essentially nothing. As a voter the choice seems to be deniers vs ditherers and that seems to be where we're headed.
Posted by Taswegian, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 9:10:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Her pedigree states:“Joanne has done over 200 radio interviews, and hosted a science series for children on Channel Nine.”
After reading this article of Joanne’s, I wonder if that science series was more elevated than Creation Science.
Posted by colinsett, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 9:26:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Oppostition should continue to oppose any ETS burden on Australia. It would be a waste of time, apart from ruining our economy.

By wanting to propose amendments to Rudd's silly scheme, Turbull is cynically trying to suck up to the drongos whom the polls say want 'something done' about natural climate change.

These drongos have been said to represent 90% of the population. A recent poll now suggests that approval has dropped to 75%, and this will drop further still when the drongos find out just how much Rudds huge carbon tax is going to cost them, and how many jobs will be lost through closure of the few industries we have left.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 9:28:38 AM
Well done Joanne.

No one who has followed the latest revelations on the so called science, promoted by that totally corrupt organisation, the UN, & it's IPCC, could possibly still believe the global warming scam is true.

I don't know if Turnbull is too dumb, [probably], lazy, or just can't read, but he's got this all wrong.

Of course it's possible he is really a wimp, running scared for his job. Well, he's right to be scared, & so should his entire party.

I have not been able to vote labor since Richardson prostituted that party, to buy the green vote. I will not vote for anyone who puts votes above policy, & principal, such expediency is just not acceptable to me, or most of the people I know.

So now we have Turnbull, a fool, wanting to play the same game to save his scalp. Well sorry Mal, play that game & you've lost me, & most of my friends. You will have lost anyone who votes on principle, & so will your party.

This could be the end of the lot of you.

Wake up libs, junk this looser. Just because he's articulate, does not make him a leader.

Get up off the floor, pick up your guts, & start talking truth. It won't be that long before even the media will have to join you.

Yes the cunning rodent KRudd [what goes around, comes around], may out manoeuver you for one election, but you'll come back in a landslide, if you just tell it as it is. The pack of cards, that is this con is about to fall.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 10:03:35 AM
I share Joanne's view on AGW.
There are lots of questions to be answered yet about the effect of various amounts of carbon in the atmosphere.
I always wonder why plants that have been tested always do better and use less water when CO2 is at about 700ppm.
Just lucky or have they evolved to enjoy that much CO2
But I also appreciate Turnbull's position as the Federal Parliamentary leader of the Liberals and his desire to win government.
The majority of Australians believe that mankind is responsible for climate change.
They will not vote for anyone who doesn't share that view.
Turnbull has at many function's that I have heard him speak at has always accepted that there is a large Minority that dont hold that view.
He proposes a "No Regrets" policy it which a Turnbull Govt would back projects that are good in their own right and it is a side benefit that carbon is reduced by efficiency gains or sequestration.
But at the moment Turnbull needs to deal with Rudd's legislation which has been designed to wedge the conservative side of politics and which is plainly working.
Joanne would be better off destroying the arguments of Rudd and Wong if she wants to change the mind of the Majority of Australians.
Better still, run for parliament and see if she can convince the average punter of her point of view.
Posted by Little Brother, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 10:17:06 AM
Can you link to the 75% poll, Leigh?
Posted by Sancho, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 10:46:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy