The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Film review: 'Not Evil Just Wrong' > Comments

Film review: 'Not Evil Just Wrong' : Comments

By Mark S. Lawson, published 14/10/2009

'Not Evil Just Wrong' is a feature length documentary following in the footsteps of 'The Great Global Warming Swindle'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Sancho,

Can you please provide a link to the actual terms of the apology that you claim was made by Martin Durkin, including his “public announcement that not only was [the graph] misrepresentative but [that] he had doctored it to make it so”? I'd also be interested to know the evidence for your conclusions that the graph in question formed “the basis for Swindle”, and that it “represent[ed] the opposite of what it actually indicate[d]”?

I ask these questions because, as I understand it, the offending graphic was used only once - in the Swindle documentary as shown on Channel 4 on 8 March 2007. According to Steve McIntyre of Climate Audit, the unamended graph appeared “to have dilated the x-axis on the right”. McIntyre emailed Durkin to inform him of this error and to urge that he correct it. Durkin “said that [the error] occurred during the graphic preparation and amended it promptly”, and McIntyre responded that “In most walks of life, if someone corrects something willingly, no complaint remains...” (see http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=1519 , post #122).

I acknowledge that the use of the word 'swindle' in the title of Durkin's documentary was regrettable, but I'd like to see you back your strident criticisms of the film with some evidence
Posted by IanC, Wednesday, 14 October 2009 3:43:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Ian,
there were a number of problems with graphs apparently.

Try this:

"On July 5, 2007, The Guardian reported that Professor Mike Lockwood, a solar physicist at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory had carried out a study, initiated partially in response to The Great Global Warming Swindle, that disproved one of the documentary's key planks — namely that global warming directly correlates to solar activity. Lockwood's study showed that solar activity had diminished subsequent to 1987, despite a steady rise in the temperature of the Earth's surface. The study, to be published in a Royal Society journal, used temperature and solar data recorded from the last 100 years.[29]"

The assertion of the movie that climate scientists had ignored studying the sun was just absurd, a really unbelievable "What the heck?" moment of denialist propaganda. But if you're going to lie, make it a big one.

Then there's the date range of many of the graphs.

"In a BBC interview about this study, Lockwood commented on the graphs shown in the documentary:

All the graphs they showed stopped in about 1980, and I knew why, because things diverged after that ... You can't just ignore bits of data that you do not like."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle
Posted by Eclipse Now, Wednesday, 14 October 2009 4:06:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bugsy - sorry but you missed the point on DDT. As is clear from my own article its not being sprayed generally its being used as vector control (on bedroom walls), so the problem of adaption does not apply. As I understand it, its very effective in that role. The activists are too far gone to see this.

As for the evidence against the Great Global Warming Swindle, fellas that a different program that isn't in the review.

References to the supposed pile of evidence for global warming being caused by humans is interesting in that the last piece of evidence that the warming in the late 20th century (there has been hardly any in the 21st) was in any way unusual took a huge hit recently. I'll have to send you that link from home but in the meantime here is an admission from the BBC that the world is cooling
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8299079.stm
Posted by Curmudgeon, Wednesday, 14 October 2009 5:01:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You beat me to it, IanC, and you've missed the point Eclipse Now, so I'll just have to second the motion:

Sancho, could you please provide a reference to where Durkin "retracted his graph and publicly announced that not only was it misrepresentative, but he had doctored it to make it so".

BTB, Sancho says the hockey stick was found to be inaccurate (not a good choice of word), while Eclipse says it remains. Where supposed to believe in consensus when you guys can't even get your stories straight.
Posted by whitmus, Wednesday, 14 October 2009 5:03:55 PM
Correction: "We're supposed..."

Eclipse Now, on the use of data, you have not commented on my question to you under Mark's previous article. Why? But Mark is right, off topic, and quickly too. Why?
Posted by whitmus, Wednesday, 14 October 2009 5:15:19 PM
Anyone see the "Brown Shirts" AKA environmental lawyers jostle the producer of Not Evil Just Wrong at the Al Gore Question and Answer session? A real insight into the character of those leading the AGW charge.

Absolutely, unbelievable. How any American let alone a high profile pollie like Al can countenance such offensive behaviour is a mystery on its own. Free speech ha.

When will the media stop manipulating public opinion and allow the public to make up its mind with balanced and objective reporting. I have more respect for a mafia hit man than the average journalist. At least he is competent at what he does.

The Science is in, what a crock. Al Gore is a contemptuous pseudo-intellectual.

Once again the Green/left have shown what tolerance is about when a paradigm they have created is rattled.

Apparently Al thinks a question session is limited to soft questions, overt displays of fawning admiration and flower throwing.

One more thing to consider. Imagine the rampant price inflation due to ETSs and Financial Stimulus Packages that will devastate the superannuation funds of everyone over 45.

Go CO2 -- more plant food, yeah.
Posted by Cowboy Joe, Wednesday, 14 October 2009 6:16:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy