The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Anti-drunk laws noticeably hypocritical > Comments

Anti-drunk laws noticeably hypocritical : Comments

By Stuart Munckton, published 8/10/2009

If governments were really concerned with our health they would fix our public health system, not introduce new laws about public intoxication.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Ozbiz “The entitlement to assistance when you are ill or in difficulties has nothing to do with desert or how you became ill. It has everything to do with your significance as a human being.”

Drunks and the drug dependent display so little human understanding of their social responsibilities as to fall below the threshold for consideration as “human beings” and qualify, at best, as “sub-human”.

Public drunkenness and drug abuse are self inflicted criminal pursuits.

It is you, not me, who are trying to extend the rules for the criminal act of public drunkenness and taking of illicit drug into the non-criminal sufferers of eating and other disorders, obviously, to suit the sentimentality and emotional pull of your invalid and illicit argument.

I would note, In every civilized community, there is no “entitlement” without someone meeting an “obligation”.

You are claiming an entitlement, to public hospital services, for those who, through their criminal behavior, have failed to meet the “obligation” to obey the law.

Now when you can argue against the reasoning, of "obligation" to balance "entitlement", come back...

I am sure a pillory set up in every town and city square, where the drug abusing louts and drunks can be pelted with decaying food products (probably the closest some of them get to green vegetables) by the "law abiding" is the closest we could get to the correct, cost effective atonement for these sort of minor offenses
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 9 October 2009 9:34:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am surprised at the level of blatant discrimination, not to mention racist remarks. These people should have the right to get drunk wherever they want. Who are you to screem fowl, just because it does not suite you. What we need is 24 hr/day nite clubs. That way the drunks would not have to put up with you lot.
Posted by Desmond, Friday, 9 October 2009 3:41:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Col Rouge <"...am sure a pillory set up in every town and city square, where the drug abusing louts and drunks can be pelted with decaying food products (probably the closest some of them get to green vegetables) by the "law abiding" is the closest we could get to the correct, cost effective atonement for these sort of minor offenses"

A loving thought there Col! I am sure you would be far more comfortable living back in the middle ages with all those wonderful tortures available to you!
Not helpful.
Posted by suzeonline, Friday, 9 October 2009 10:13:10 PM
Desmond
What has racism got to do with drunken behaviour?
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 10 October 2009 9:38:51 AM
Suzeonline “A loving thought there Col! I am sure you would be far more comfortable living back in the middle ages with all those wonderful tortures available to you!
Not helpful.”

Wikipedia – Pillory –“The pillory was a device made of a wooden or metal framework erected on a post, with holes for securing the head and hands, formerly used for punishment by public humiliation…..”

Torture? Hardly…. Oh it could be used for torture too.. but so can a bucket of water.

I recall the hue and cry over the Isle of Man retaining the birch for minor public order offences form all the whiny whoosies in UK back in the 1970s...

imho the sooner we bring back real punishments the better, instead of pandering the the excess of those who feel "entitled" to abuse public and private facilities and individuals alike.

Maybe rather than rant the rider you could make some comment to the body of my post and I bet you would find yourself in agreement… or are you one of the whoosies who think people are entitled to indulge in everything but with an obligation for nothing?

Your objection convinces me how appropriate the return of the public pillory would be.

Desmond – not sure what you are sniffing but I think you must have brewed a bad batch.. try more battery acid next time.

To your point “That way the drunks would not have to put up with you lot.”

My peaceful enjoyment of public amenities does not interfere with drunks ability to defecate while remaining fully dressed

but his use of my car as a public urinal or punch bag on which to express his frustrations with the failure of his life does interfere with my peaceful enjoyment.

When you have a real post try writing it up, until then… go and find a “rational reason” before you bother to put finger to keyboard.
Posted by Col Rouge, Saturday, 10 October 2009 11:19:11 AM
Col Rouge <"...or are you one of the whoosies who think people are entitled to indulge in everything but with an obligation for nothing?"

Col, you obviously didn't read my previous post where I made my position on drunken behaviour quite clear.

Nurses like me have probably dealt with awful drunken behaviours and their consequences far more often than most people.

The reason we have given up all the humiliating punishments that people like you want to see returned is that law abiding citizens no longer want to stoop as low as the behaviours displayed by drunks!

I am quite happy to leave it to the police and courts, rather than to aggressive vigilantes
Posted by suzeonline, Saturday, 10 October 2009 1:07:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy