The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Aussie kids’ war on climate change already underway > Comments

Aussie kids’ war on climate change already underway : Comments

By Arron Wood, published 8/10/2009

Australian children are ahead of the game when it comes to fighting climate change.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Given that our Prime Minister has positioned Australia and our Government as being leaders in combating climate change and youth engagement, I'd think his attendance at the International River Health Conference would go a long way to validating this position. What a thrill it would be for the kids to be addressed by or meet Australia's leader, if only briefly. I'm sure that by doing this it would reinforce their resolve to care for our country and climate as the become adults. Come on Kev!
Posted by Youthfuture, Thursday, 8 October 2009 9:42:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a coordinator of a national sustainable schools initiative (AuSSI) which is funded by the Australian Government, I strongly support Arron Woods article 'Aussi kids war on climate change already underway'.
It is absolutely vital that the Australian Prime Minister recognises and supports the students at this years MDBC International River Health Conference by addressing the students at the opening ceremony in Canberra on Monday 19th October.
By attending the opening ceremony, Kevin Rudd would send an message to all youth across Australia, that he deeply cares, respects and is listening to their plight, as kids strive to combat the effects of climate change on the environment and their future.
Posted by Butterfly1, Thursday, 8 October 2009 10:31:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'In around three week’s time, 2,500 students from every Australian State and Territory and New Zealand will converge on Canberra'

I take it they will be riding pushbikes or catching boats from New Zealand. No doubt just like the recent useless junkets to Bali by a large number of Pollies, everyone after burning up huge amounts of gases getting there will want to preach to others. Teaching Aussie kids a few manners and respect for their parents and authority would achieve a lot more for our future than filling them with the blind dogmas of Green faith.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 8 October 2009 10:46:41 AM
It sounds like someone is brainwashing our children with the propaganda of anthropological climate change....

I wonder what they will do when they find out they have been taken for a ride (on a push bike).
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 8 October 2009 11:39:03 AM
Good to see the climate skeptics are alive and well. I bet you wouldn't have a problem with kids flying off to represent their school at a sporting event, but as soon as the environment is being considered you trot out the usual talk. Yes they will be travelling by air and yes emmissions will be created because at this time there is no other option. So from reading the program I see that these kids are looking at how we use technology and education to keep our quality of life and economic prosperity for now and into the future. I actually called the organisers and the majority of these kids are from rural Australian farming communities who are worried about running out of water. So regardless of your skepticism about climate change surely you want farming communities to have the best possible information to be able to combat drought?? Surely you aren't saying our kids don't need to learn about the environment when some of Australia's biggest exports are from the land? Perhaps Col and runner you might like to join the kids and see what the program is all about instead of making baseless assumptions?? I know I would like to go.
Posted by talksomesense, Thursday, 8 October 2009 11:56:11 AM
Welcome to OLO, talksomesense.

There's a clutch of rusted-on conservative regulars here who do their bit for the global War on Science, but for the most part discussion of climate change is welcome.

If it's really a problem for the sceptics, Col Rouge can organise a trip for some young people to learn about the boundless potential of neo-liberalism, then runner can take them to Jerusalem for a seminar on why Jesus wants them to wreck the planet.
Posted by Sancho, Thursday, 8 October 2009 2:21:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy