The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Monotheism: not as simple as you think > Comments

Monotheism: not as simple as you think : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 14/9/2009

Christianity, Islam and Judaism are simplistically described as 'the great monotheistic faiths'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
bushranger doth spake:

"If sophisticated theologians or postmodern relativists think they are rescuing God from the redundancy scrap-heap by downplaying the importance of existence, they should think again... Tell the congregation of a church or mosque that existence is too vulgar an attribute to fasten onto their God, and they will brand you an atheist. They'll be right."

Ah, pretenders. So easy to spot. "Synagogue" is the word you can't remember or are you just disrespectful to the point of antisemitism? Simple manners - please!

Um, latent hatred of logical thought aside - all Muslims and Christians are atheists. You reject more gods than you accept. Christianity is both divine and textual attrition advanced to swipe the tops off disparate polytheistic beliefs that threatened an empire. You are aware history is documented I presume?

Non-theists reject notions of anthropomorphised beings. Theists realise they must also, or fade away. Only yesterday, I heard 2 distinguished theologians and authors in a debate argue that God as we claim he existed surely doesn't. His effects may be seen in 'good and evil' but the "inexplicable" aspect of both his nature and his apathy is more important than his claimed existence.

Indeed, one claimed to say otherwise is to miss the entire Christian viewpoint. I think what he meant was only the very stupid continue on with 'the biblical god'.

Sorry matey, you're both demonstrably wrong and in for a lonely paddle up Pretender Creek.
Posted by Firesnake, Wednesday, 16 September 2009 3:31:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AJ Phillips,

As I have said on another post, heck, don’t ask me anything about the bible, I’ve learnt more about Catholicism through symbolism, mysticism and social justice teachings. AJ, the western world has basically developed under much Christian influence. Believe it, or not?
Posted by Constance, Wednesday, 16 September 2009 10:49:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oliver,

Oliver saaiiid: “What Christians need to learn is compassion and understanding not only for themselves but towards others. We should love our fellow humans and embrace peaceful diversity.” Tell that to the Muslims, PLEASE. Eg. Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.etc... What are you talking about? Do not you think Pope Benedict is speaking of peace and compassion?

I have also become recently aware that there are Pakistani birth certificates without their mother documented. Can you believe that? Fact,it is. You see, when a Muslim marriage splits up, the mother has no rights over the children. Are you a misogynist, Oliver? Otherwise, I recommend you listen to Ayaan Hirsi Ali (Dutch/Somali ex-Muslim – now living in BIG BAD USA); Wafa Sultan – Syrian American ex Muslim and Irshad Manji Canadian Pakistani – feminist and Sufi . They all have plenty to say on Islam. You should also read the ex-muslim sites - just google.

What planet are you living on, Oliver? In a time warp, methinks. You sound like a blind PC Pollyanna to me. You talk about compassion lacking in Christianity? Have you ever heard of Christian charity? Who do you think is likely to be doing most charity work in TODAY’s world to fellow Christians and EVEN non Christians, as it does not matter to them, as their vocation demands to go to those in need (particularly the nuns). I’ve said it before to deaf ears. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve met sane Muslims from abroad who had a Catholic education. The only charity for disabled people in Jordan it seems is run by nuns. Ooh, wah! Just an example that our friend George from Cologne had posted but not for the purpose of my current example, just happened to be.

You just want me to love/like everyone without any sense of moral judgement? Who are you kiding? I’m not daft. My critical faculties are in tact, thank God. Cont'd........
Posted by Constance, Wednesday, 16 September 2009 11:31:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your argument, Constance, seems to be "I don't like Muslims, therefore the Christian god is real".

Forgive me if it doesn't prompt me to run to the nearest church and teeeeestifah.

As for runner, it's reasonable to assume that he also rejects medicine, surgery, vehicular travel, television, the internet, and all other benefits of secular society that religion not only failed to deliver, but actively fights. Good luck with the leeches and self-flagellation, mate.
Posted by Sancho, Thursday, 17 September 2009 9:12:21 AM
Constance,

Please go back read my post again. I said that I could not deny that the Muslims would have been as bloodied as the Christians, if they had the resources. Did you read through the link outlining the early centuries of Nicaean Christianity? Notably, Christians targeted the brilliant female mathematician Hypanthia:

http://www.gap-system.org/~history/Mathematicians/Hypatia.htmls

All this happened before we can even start on Mohammed.

The Christian witch hunts focused on women.

Also,

- “If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean.” - Leviticus 12: 1 [I have been to a Christian baptism, where the Russian mother was not allowed attend the sacrament.]

- “ And he [Solomon] had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart” - 1 Kings 11:3

- “Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.” – 1 Timothy 2 11:15

- “Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the Lord in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD. Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.” – Numbers 31 16:18

“You just want me to love/like everyone without any sense of moral judgement?* Who are you kiding? I’m not daft. My critical faculties are in tact, thank God”–Constance

- If you do not love Muslims, do you hate them?

I have said before that I admire the good works of nuns and some priests, notably the Jesuits in history
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 17 September 2009 9:42:36 AM
Constance,

<<AJ, the western world has basically developed under much Christian influence.>>

The Western world has developed under the influence of a lot of things. But that doesn’t invalidate what I said, nor does it invalidate my more indirect point that your comment: “It’s no wonder that Muslim countries are not operating as well as they could be”, was very ignorant.

My point still stands.
Posted by AJ Philips, Thursday, 17 September 2009 11:07:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy