The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fixed term federal elections - an alternative approach? > Comments

Fixed term federal elections - an alternative approach? : Comments

By Shawn O'Brien, published 12/8/2009

There are a couple of popular arguments for having fixed terms for the House of Representatives.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Shawn, i agree with you on fixed terms.
But they should be a fixed 4 year term and 4 + 4 for senators
The election should be on the same day every 4 years, the third Saturday
in October, this would keep it out of the way of any public holidays.

In the case of double dissolution that action should only occour in accordance with the 4 year term except the senate would submit to a re-election of all senate positions and the joint sitting to pass (or otherwise) the legistation which caused the need for a double dissolution.

This should insure a reduction in matters politic.
Posted by JMCC, Wednesday, 12 August 2009 11:17:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author seems a bit vague on the provisions of the Federal Constitution, where section 9 provides that laws concerning the times of Senate elections are the province of State, not Federal parliaments.

That said, I once supported fixed terms, but, living in NSW, and currently having to endure the current government until March 2011, I have changed my mind.

The real reforms we should look to (which would have some chance of passage in the required referendum) are as follows:

1. Recall

Here you would be able to pass around a petition in any electorate for the dismissal of the current member, and if a majority of the enrolled electors support it there would be an immediate by-election.

2. Citizens Initiative

This would be the only way that issues opposed or dodged by the major parties could be forced to a binding referendum. Examples are euthanasia, capital punishment, and reduction of politicians salary, expenses and superannuation.

3. Vacancy

Electors should not be forced to choose between the candidates offered, and should be able to vote for the seat to be left vacant. Another variation is that the "vacant" seat would vote NO in all divisions.

4. Compulsory voting.

We all know that we really don't have compulsory voting, as any elector can spoil his ballot paper and this cannot be revealed. However it should be made more obvious by simply having compulsory attendance at a polling booth. After crossing you off the list, the official would ask you whether you wished to vote, and if you did, would give you a ballot paper.

5. Registered Voters.

Electors should be able, if they choose, to become a registered supporter of a particular party. Then, on election day, if they don't turn up at the booth, a vote for their party would be recorded for them. This preference could be changed any time up to the close of the poll on election day. It could then be made an offense to bother such electors with election material during an election.
Posted by plerdsus, Wednesday, 12 August 2009 8:01:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Plerdsus,
I agree with most of your points.

Infact maybe your opening point supports dropping of states and perhaps replaceing them with smaller regions, but could this be too much for the people to accept in a major change to the constitution.

Your point 5 I find a little strange and would not the major parties still want to try to invade the uncomitted voter on election day, or should this situation be outlawed on election day?
Posted by JMCC, Thursday, 13 August 2009 9:26:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy