The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Decoding the Sonia S. hearings > Comments

Decoding the Sonia S. hearings : Comments

By Zillah Eisenstein, published 28/7/2009

It would be much better if Sonia Sotomayor became the next US Supreme Court justice without denying her contribution as a Latina woman.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
My favourite advantage about being white and male is that no-one makes assumptions about my opinions on any given issue. Perhaps this right should be extended to other groups. Ms Eisenstein made too many assumptions about how Ms Sotomayor's identity might affect her judgements. Ms Eisenstein is no better than the shock jocks that she smugly attacked.
Posted by benk, Tuesday, 28 July 2009 12:58:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My reading - from many thousands of miles away - of some objections to the confirmation of Ms Sotomayor is that, as a justice on the highest court in the land, her decision making process will not be shaped by a respect for the law but rather by her ethnic background and her gender.
Some would say that these are legitimate sources to draw on in judicial interpretation - many disagree.
By comparing her ability to judge based on her gender and ethnicity to others' ability to judge based on theirs Ms Sotomayor herself raised the gender and race issue.
Justice is said to be blind - many wish it were more so.
Posted by J S Mill, Tuesday, 28 July 2009 3:06:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy