The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The voice of Iran and of women everywhere > Comments

The voice of Iran and of women everywhere : Comments

By Dannielle Miller, published 10/7/2009

Women in Iran are risking their lives to speak out, in the hope that their daughters will one day enjoy equal rights.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
As one going on 89 whose wife has passed away, must say my experience of both marriage and partnership was such a loving and wonderful experience, I could say I am kind of glad my own days are numbered.

And though I must also add that both my wife and I had the good fortune to have been of Western stock as well of having lived a Western existence, one feels as a historian that Iran is one Islamic country that with its earlier Hellenist influence will itself become more democratic but without the American-style pressure that both illegally planted the fake Shah, as well as with Britain planted in the Oil Co camp followers.

I only hope that Obama has the wisdom and understanding not to use the old American Way that could have Iran look East towards Russia and China rather than towards the West.

To be sure any knowledgable historian could say that Iran is already looking East, by having Russian engineers design and build her coming nuclear facilities?

Thus in truth it is not just faith in his political salesmanship that Obama needs, but a sincere Hope based on historical Wisdom and Understanding.

Part of which in truth must honestly include using US power to have both herself and the rest of world be free of the cursed militarily nuclear
Posted by bushbred, Saturday, 11 July 2009 2:50:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Isabel berners (That’s a sweet first name for a feminist).

You could have stumbled upon something there. If someone is opposing an oppressive regime, then should other people be supporting them based only on their superficial looks.

Other people shouldn’t be supported them based only on their superficial looks one would presume. However, academic feminists continuously won’t to classify someone as being a man or a woman, and I have even heard a university lecturer classify something they didn’t like as being “male” (a completely discriminatory, bigoted, prejudiced and unprofessional practice I might add).

So, how does an academic feminist classify someone as being a man or a women?

Does an academic feminist classify someone as being a man or a woman according to their looks, name, dress, hair style, genitals, attitude or something else?

A very fundamental question to be answered by the academic feminist industry.
Posted by vanna, Saturday, 11 July 2009 6:42:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Vanna asks "So, how does an academic feminist classify someone as being a man or a women? ... looks, name, dress, hair style, genitals, attitude or something else? A very fundamental question to be answered by the academic feminist industry."

Oh dear Vanna, you need to get out more.

Haven't you ever heard of Queer Theory? Third Wave Feminism? Gender Studies? Transfeminism? Lavender Linguistics? A quick Google search on any of these will reveal a host of contradictory schools of thought. Don't expect you'll find an "answer" to your question though.

Frankly I think there is far too much intellectual effort devoted to gender. To suggest that the topic has been ignored is just willful blindness.
Posted by Johnj, Sunday, 12 July 2009 11:57:31 AM
JohnJ

I do get out. In fact I have been to about 20 different countries.

You are very lucky to live in this country.

However, the myopic and feminist author states “her head covering is loose, she's wearing makeup ... and those fingernails she's holding up in a victory sign? Oh, they've definitely been manicured. This is an ordinary woman”

So the feminist and myopic author categories people as being man or woman based on their superficial looks.

Academic feminists have established quite an industry based on gender, but when all is said and done, their industry is based on superficial looks.

The fact that the myopic and feminist author teahes children is definitely a cause of concern.
Posted by vanna, Sunday, 12 July 2009 8:15:14 PM
Vanna, I don't understand your point. The whole damm human race judges if you are a man or a woman by the way you look. If you are meaning that the woman shot in Iran is only getting sympathy because she was good looking. There is probably a lot of truth to that.

That is the issue though isn't it? That women are shot for looking attractive in the streets of Iran. It is probably also why this woman was singled out and shot because she had the misfortune to look attractive. Once this no longer happens in these muslim countries I'd say a lot of the injustices and the efforts to control women will be on the way out as well.
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 12 July 2009 11:53:52 PM
vanna complains that Danielle pays close attention to appearance when she says "This is an ordinary woman, but this is also a brave woman." Why does Danielle say she's brave? Because the morality police "can punish women just for wearing fingernail polish." Appearance as political statement? You'd better believe it.

Myopic? Who's myopic?
Posted by Johnj, Monday, 13 July 2009 7:57:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy