The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Report gives sobering view of warming's impact on US > Comments

Report gives sobering view of warming's impact on US : Comments

By Michael Lemonick, published 8/7/2009

Global warming is already affecting the US according to The United States Global Change Research Program

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Cool. Half full is the exact definition of peak oil, when we are half way through the muck. So even if you don't believe in global warming (despite scientific consensus from ALL the INDEPENDENT players that actually count) then at least try and get your head around that the world is RUNNING OUT of fossil fuels.

That is, even if we think we can burn the remaining oil (and we can't because just burning that would push us past the climate safety levels), because we are at world peak oil, don't you think we'd better find out if there's anything in that there "snake oil" as you put it?

Because I'm suggesting that a Greater Depression is pretty much inevitable within the next 5 to 10 years because of oil production decline. We currently consume about 84 mbd, and what happens to the world economy when it's only 70 mbd in a decade, and 60 mbd a few years after that? China and India are coming online as big oil consumers so you'd better PRAY that you are wrong about the "snake oil" of wind, solar, wave, tidal, and other electric powers, and PRAY you are wrong about our ability to translate electrons into transport energy (instead of the liquid fuels we are currently addicted to) or we are ALREADY STUFFED, got it?

I happen to be an optimist, and think we already HAVE the technology and alternative transport and city plans to live an attractive modern lifestyle, IF we get cracking now. But you and your sceptical pals are getting in the way.

And if you're right, and the alternatives are "snake oil", then we are well and truly stuffed because gas peaks a few years after oil, and even coal peaks somewhere between 2025 to 2050ish... depending on economic growth forecasts. So what's your answer to that genius?
Posted by Eclipse Now, Friday, 17 July 2009 7:33:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Eclipse, have you seen anyone about your anger problem?
Posted by fungochumley, Friday, 17 July 2009 10:49:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't think it's anger, I think it's being "highly motivated". This stuff is just not funny any more.

So even if you don't accept global warming (and I just cannot understand that pig headed stubbornness, it's like denying gravity or the world being spherical), then what do people do about the fact that we are at peak oil, and within a few short years our global economy will be staggering under either shortages or $300 a barrel oil?

Morons like "MeMeMine" seem to think this is a fun game. They come out to play and point to the Heartland institute, or call renewable energy and other solutions (such as New Urbanism) "snake oil".

It makes me sick to my stomach. There are some very real crisis coming our way VERY soon.

It's this simple: I'm scared for my kids OK? I happen to like my middle-class existence, and don't think I'd do real good in a desperate "Greater Depression" or worse... some of the Mad Max scenarios.

But ultimately I'm an optimist and "hope" we'll make it, but each year we procrastinate massively upgrading intercity electric rail and freight lines from the food belts to the population areas is another quantum leap of difficulty for Australians to jump through when TSHTF.

I'm scared mate. I've personally briefed MLC's in NSW and even had 10 minutes with Maxine McKew. I'm in networks where I KNOW the geology has been spelt out to our main politicians. Every relevant State and Federal politician in Australia KNOWS that the world's independent, non-Exxon funded geologists are saying we're at peak oil. Some can even parrot the information back to you word for word: EG: Peak discoveries being in 1960's, we've been burning oil faster than finding new oil for 25 years, etc. They KNOW this, but choose to trust in the tooth fairy arriving just in time to rescue them from making decisions.

You'll have "an anger problem" with it as well in a few years when you realise just how stuffed we are, and they knew all along and could have been preparing.
Posted by Eclipse Now, Friday, 17 July 2009 11:09:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gosh, that does sound very exciting "I've personally briefed MLC's in NSW and even had 10 minutes with Maxine McKew."

Now that you've dropped that on us, we'll all be in awe of you, imagine briefing Maxine McKew, ALP royalty yes?

(Is 10 minutes her attention span? Or all the time she would give to a doom peddler? I'd have more respect for the latter)

So what do you do Eclipse Now?

You appear to be in the business of spreading the word, and fear, of some upcoming disaster.

What's your shtick? (what's your brief, to go onto blog/opinion sites and attack anyone who disagrees with the dogma?)

What's in it for you?

Who funds you?

Is that why you're so angry all the time, the skeptical view of man's contribution to climate change threatens more than the planet, it threatens your new stream of income?

Peak Oil/Energy questions - off topic as you ramble from hatred to hatred, but for the record I'm in favor of Nuclear Power. I'd like all the funding going to hobby techniques of generating electricity to go into developing better forms of storage, so electricity generated by hydro, nuclear or even coal can be stored so as to flatten out peak use and also be used in vehicles of all kinds.

Adapting means reviewing past decisions, like having nuclear power.

Adapting does not mean continuing to pollute as many do today.

Don't confuse a skeptical view of man made global warming as being in favor of polluting or being against other forms of novel power generation.

You tend to mix things up and declare anyone who disagrees on one subject to be obviously in favor of all manner of evils by definition. Since to disagree at all with any part of your thinking is just so unbelievable, that it is, well, evil.
Posted by rpg, Saturday, 18 July 2009 2:34:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'I don't think it's anger, I think it's being "highly motivated.'"

Now that, my friend, is an example of real denial.
Posted by fungochumley, Saturday, 18 July 2009 7:45:06 PM
Guys, Bulverise me if you wish.

Attack my motives.

Attack my anger.

Do whatever it takes to move off the topic. Divert attention away from the fact that you guys have nothing, nada, zilch, and that you have been infected by an anti-science meme and stubbornly just can't let go in spite of all the evidence. Make sure you never answer any requests for peer-reviewed evidence and credible institutions backing your dogma.

Instead, indulge your dogma.

And above all, scream "STUFF YOU!" to all the climatologists alive today and all future generations. Because basically that's what your stubbornness is saying.

And you call me angry?
Posted by Eclipse Now, Saturday, 18 July 2009 8:29:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy