The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nanotechnology: the known unknowns > Comments

Nanotechnology: the known unknowns : Comments

By Anna Kelsey-Sugg, published 11/6/2009

Many are keen to race ahead with nanotechnology despite the 'known unknowns' and lack of appropriate legislation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The ability of some to work themselves into a lather of terror when confronted with something new never ceases to amaze me.

It repeats it over and over again: GM, fluoride, nanotechnology or the LHC - its new, and so it obviously means the end of civilization as we know it.
Posted by rstuart, Friday, 12 June 2009 10:22:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rstuart,

Usually I agree with you, but you are being a bit hard on the author. I have worked with nanoparticles, and we always took great care in handling them, wearing masks and gloves and sometimes working in a glove box. The mere fact that a substance is in nanoparticle form doesn't necessarily make it dangerous. Some types of nanoparticles occur commonly in nature, and the body can deal with them. Other nanomaterials are essentially new. Because the particles are so tiny, the surface properties become relatively more important than the bulk properties, and they can behave quite differently from larger particles. It would make sense to test them before they come into widespread use, and not just assume that they are safe because their bulk equivalents are safe.
Posted by Divergence, Friday, 12 June 2009 4:31:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
google [nano-thermite 911] and view some very interesting results.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 13 June 2009 11:53:17 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy